Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: !!!!!!!!!Contraceptive Pills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I know I sounded very ranty, but I was frustrated at not being able to find information on how to go about things, and getting conflicting information from various sources here.

To those who asked why I didn't talk to my GP: I did. But was told I could only have 6 months. This has happened to me before when I've been abroad, but luckily i've always been home just in time.

I am paying taxes here, and yes, will probably get less back than am putting in, so I don't think you can claim i'm not going to be paying my way. Many people in NZ do not pay taxes and take much more out of the system than I'll be doing (as happens in the UK too).

I acknowledge that I should've dealt with this earlier, but i'm pretty sure that nobody is perfect and sometimes time gets away from all of us. I've learnt my lesson, and won't be letting things get this tight ever again!

Bob, i'm not expecting 'free', just 'reasonable' - a relative concept. And I have paid into the UK tax system for the past 7 years of my life, and will be putting much more back in in the future, so I don't think that's particularly relevant. You're right that $80 isn't really that much in comparison to pregnancy, but I suppose i'm just very used to the UK system, where I don't feel like i'm paying into it. In a sense I suppose the 'free'ness of the NHS is just a concept, and most people, me included, accept that idea, even though it's clearly not free.

And I do get that NZ residents should quite rightly get cheaper access to things (it is their country after all, and i'd be annoyed if it weren't the same way in the UK).

My frustration also comes from the fact that the UK supposedly has a reciprocal health agreement with NZ, but it does not appear to cover sexual health, but rather emergencies (thank God for this though!).

Anyway, i'm sorry if I rubbed any of you up the wrong way - that wasn't my intention! I just wanted information about my situation, as there isn't much in terms of 'case stories' online that I can find. Thanks for your insight and input, and i'll try to be less 'complainy' in the future - and yes, i've been singing the praises of the NHS for many years now, as it's far more than some countries have!!!

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by neddrick98 View Post
    Sorry.
    I don't think you should say sorry. Your question might help someone else in future.

If your work visa is for two years or more, you're entitled to the same healthcare benefit as a resident.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I don't think you should say sorry. Your question might help someone else in future.
    I agree. This is exactly the sort of problem that visitors or newcomers to a country often face.

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Slater View Post
    If your work visa is for two years or more, you're entitled to the same healthcare benefit as a resident.
    It's only for 12 months, as it's a WHV.

Hey we all enjoy a good rant now and again. But do get this sorted for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by neddrick98 View Post
    Okay, so I know I sounded very ranty, but I was frustrated at not being able to find information on how to go about things, and getting conflicting information from various sources here.

To those who asked why I didn't talk to my GP: I did. But was told I could only have 6 months. This has happened to me before when I've been abroad, but luckily i've always been home just in time.

I am paying taxes here, and yes, will probably get less back than am putting in, so I don't think you can claim i'm not going to be paying my way. Many people in NZ do not pay taxes and take much more out of the system than I'll be doing (as happens in the UK too).

I acknowledge that I should've dealt with this earlier, but i'm pretty sure that nobody is perfect and sometimes time gets away from all of us. I've learnt my lesson, and won't be letting things get this tight ever again!

Bob, i'm not expecting 'free', just 'reasonable' - a relative concept. And I have paid into the UK tax system for the past 7 years of my life, and will be putting much more back in in the future, so I don't think that's particularly relevant. You're right that $80 isn't really that much in comparison to pregnancy, but I suppose i'm just very used to the UK system, where I don't feel like i'm paying into it. In a sense I suppose the 'free'ness of the NHS is just a concept, and most people, me included, accept that idea, even though it's clearly not free.

And I do get that NZ residents should quite rightly get cheaper access to things (it is their country after all, and i'd be annoyed if it weren't the same way in the UK).

My frustration also comes from the fact that the UK supposedly has a reciprocal health agreement with NZ, but it does not appear to cover sexual health, but rather emergencies (thank God for this though!).

Anyway, i'm sorry if I rubbed any of you up the wrong way - that wasn't my intention! I just wanted information about my situation, as there isn't much in terms of 'case stories' online that I can find. Thanks for your insight and input, and i'll try to be less 'complainy' in the future - and yes, i've been singing the praises of the NHS for many years now, as it's far more than some countries have!!!

Sorry.
    I never mentioned the cost of pregnancy, I think I said $80 was not much money for the service...

bob

The solution is totally affordable. Abstinence.

Seriously - after living with the U.S. healthcare system for too many years, your complaint seems pretty insignificant. Just pay the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    The solution is totally affordable. Abstinence.
    Wow, you had been living in the US too long.
    People use contraceptive pills for other reasons besides sexual activity (as if that matters).

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Wow, you had been living in the US too long.
    People use contraceptive pills for other reasons besides sexual activity (as if that matters).
    You're right - I should have know better as my daughter-in-law uses contraceptive pills for 'other' reasons. It also reflects my age.
    Last edited by Dell; 15th April 2014 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast