Thread: The "local experience" factor in Wellington

Default The "local experience" factor in Wellington

Hello! I am on the job market after arriving last year. I am a mid-career professional and running into the "no local experience" factor. On the advice of recruiters, I have taken local workshops and also have two volunteer roles in my field to get the local experience.

I am registered with seven recruiters in Wellington and have found them almost worthless. They all say they have nothing and one refused to work with me anymore after saying I don't have the "local experience" to put forward for a role.

I have worked all over the world and am doing well in my volunteer roles. In every place I've lived, I've at least gotten interviews.

There is a migrant settlement service in Wellington, but it seems to be more geared toward non-English speakers/refugees (correct me if I am wrong).

I would love to hear from folks in the Wellington area who can point me to more helpful recruiters or any advice. I am in media/communications advisor field.

What industry are you in?

Have you tried dropping to a lower level role in the field? I went in at a lower level but within a year was promoted.

What was your experience with approaching employers directly?

If you're on a resident visa, how about starting your own consulting company? Consider casting your net wider than just the NZ market.

Hi there,

Have you contacted the Chamber of Commerce? They have a scheme that helps skilled migrants find employment. I can find the contact details if you like?
    Are you on LinkedIn? It's used a lot here and so it's a good way to build your network.

Also how about coming and sharing with us on Wednesday https://www.facebook.com/events/302997363183824/

Wednesday, April 16, 11:30am

Wishbone, 1 The Terrace (Parliament end)

Need a mid-week break from work or job hunting?

Those of you in town next Wednesday why not join us for a catch-up?
    While we have a coffee (or lunch) in the heart of the CBD let’s talk about our jobs, our interview experiences, the difference in working culture we’ve seen here, (the good and the bad ), how we're building networks and what next for our careers!

Meeting point - Inside, look for a table with our logo on it