Thread: Does the NZ citizen need a medical check?

Question Does the NZ citizen need a medical check?

I was directed to the limited medical check form for my husband and kids (US citizens) but the person on the phone couldn't seem to tell me if I needed to have a check done too and the form doesn't specify either, I'm a NZ citizen but been out of the country for 7-8 years now if that matters. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by zjpq13 View Post
    I was directed to the limited medical check form for my husband and kids (US citizens) but the person on the phone couldn't seem to tell me if I needed to have a check done too and the form doesn't specify either, I'm a NZ citizen but been out of the country for 7-8 years now if that matters. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your help!
    No. You don't need medical check if you have a NZ passport. You will need a police check for USA and NZ.
    I know there are all kinds of family structures but if they are your children, save getting the kids medical checks and get them NZ passports.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    No. You don't need medical check if you have a NZ passport. You will need a police check for USA and NZ.
    I know there are all kinds of family structures but if they are your children, save getting the kids medical checks and get them NZ passports.
    ty!

sadly I am a citizen by descent, parents were born in NZ, I was born in Aus, and that can't go further than me. I wonder if them having Aus passports/citizenship would make it easier? either way I think that would end up more expensive? the kids checks aren't too bad, no tests really, they're 6 and 1

If the children are Australian citizens, you don't need to go through sponsoring etc. for them to live in NZ, and/but you can get them NZ PR issued as well. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1068

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Just so you know... you won't need a police check from NZ. If this is required it will be done by INZ. Cheers. Karen

My kids were 4/6 and US citizens when we are applied for residency and their medical was pretty easy, no bloods or x-rays, just a general physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Just so you know... you won't need a police check from NZ. If this is required it will be done by INZ. Cheers. Karen
    Thanks for clarifying. Yes, INZ will do the required NZ police check for the NZ citizen. When our CO gave us the approval over the phone he said it was contingent on the NZ police check. He told us that we could do it ourselves and it might make the process faster. When we checked into it, it would have taken the exact same time. Perhaps if we had done the police check from NZ before we submitted our application, it would have made a difference. If time doesn't matter, I can't see the point of doing it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi Karen!
    Why is this police check required for a person returning back to his/her country? Is this required for a person holding a PR and stayed away of NZ for some time? What about the medicals for PR holders?
    I have an impression that PR is forever and a person holding PR is free to enter or exit NZ anytime.
    Sorry for my ignorance.
    Thanks,