Thread: mpi inspection

Default mpi inspection

So after chasing nz van lines for the last 2 weeks finally had word that mpi want to inspect 16 boxes urgh
    I can't get my head around the mpi site though to see how much this will cost. I know from previous threads not to take the shipping companies word for anything so requesting all mpi reports and invoices as we go along. Van lines also seem to be on a bit of a con for the detention and demiurge fees claiming to only have 7 days free time with the container when the container tracking states 10 working days. Given that van lines have already said they needed to empty the container to get the car out (although then backtracked to say it should have been done but weren't sure) there should be no detention fees. Delivery of the rest of the container is scheduled for Tuesday though, can't wait to get into our longterm rental and have our stuff back, especially the baby's things as I'm due in 3 weeks!

So mpi inspection came through clear with no further action on the house hold goods, car needs steam clean as expected. Got an invioce from nz van line which has fees for:

Our fee for all attendances relating to the MPI inspection including arranging the same, liaison with MPI, attendance by accredited personnel, obtaining final release documents, all MPI charges and all other incidental costs and administration'

Vehicle inspection Fee for all attendances relating to the boarder inspection including Arranging the same, all MPI and IVS (NZTA approved supplier ) charges, NZTA fee and all other incidental costs and administration

Is this normal? I've asked for the official mpi invoice to see what extras have been added by nz van lines.

We had some of our things inspected, think it was bikes, garden equipment and bbq. We also had to pay to have our car steam cleaned. Our bill was about $1600.
    Not sure who's car I paid for to be steam cleaned but it was filthy when we went to see it. (they damaged it too hence us going to see it)
    My husband did query the bill and made a joke that they hadn't washed it but we didn't get anywhere. After sleeping on blow up mattresses for 3 months we were just desperate for our things and of course they wont release them until you pay :-(
    Hope you get yours sorted and good luck with the baby.

So the saga continues, the latest from nzvl is they don't yet have an mpi invoice so the fees are based on an estimate, they also say their costs wouldn't be covered under our anglo Pacific quote. Luckily our house hold goods have already been delivered but the car is still with them. I have contacted anglo Pacific who are looking into it and have emailed nzvl and indicated they think the nzvl admin fees are covered by them.
    Can't say the goods were inspected that thoroughly it looks like they have opened the box and closed it without unpacking anything then some mpi tape has been stuck over the box!

I think we had 12 boxes plus the car inspected. All the boxes they wanted to see were the ones we expected, outdoor things, bikes and Xmas tree and decorations and the hoover. We didn't have to have any further cleaning done on any boxed items and the car was fine too and our bill including GST was just over 1000$.

We then had the fees to get the car through compliance, registered, wof'd etc. before we got it back from the garage.

This is similar to my experience with NZVL...but also in line with their documentation. But my employer got to foot the bills rather than me.

You're nearly "free"! Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by JennyG View Post
    So the saga continues, the latest from nzvl is they don't yet have an mpi invoice so the fees are based on an estimate, they also say their costs wouldn't be covered under our anglo Pacific quote. Luckily our house hold goods have already been delivered but the car is still with them. I have contacted anglo Pacific who are looking into it and have emailed nzvl and indicated they think the nzvl admin fees are covered by them.
    Can't say the goods were inspected that thoroughly it looks like they have opened the box and closed it without unpacking anything then some mpi tape has been stuck over the box!

No matter who the shipper or the wording in the agreement, it feels like they all get you for fees on arrival. Probably helps just to budget for them, as wrong as it may feel.