Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well it's all systems go! We are on our way to Christchurch!!!!!!

Wink Well it's all systems go! We are on our way to Christchurch!!!!!!

Hi there, Well it all seems real now. After 8 years of dreaming and not making the final plunge. It seems now it is finally here.

My husband has just been offered an excellent job with a big construction company. The first 18 months will be definately in Christchurch he is due out in a few months and then me and our girls are following over we finish all loose ends off here. We have been looking at doing this for years so thanks to this site and others we have a pretty good cost comparision set up so prices for bills/rents etc are no suprise. However to be honest where we live the bills are pretty bad these days I pay £250 per month for Gas and Electric and water is £60 per month/ Along with Sky, Phone, insurance etc it is all pretty high these days isn't it? We also pay a pretty efty amount in food shopping as we like to eat healthy and it cost more. But never mind! I reckon Bills are bills every where in the world aren't they?

Plus we are well aware of all the negative things people have posted which is their opinion, along with friends who have been, or still there and I guess they know us slightly better and know what we like. Gosh we are negative about this place but we know friends who love it. Anyway it is time for an adventure and to try something new! Ever the optimist!

I have been looking on Real Estate sites and forums for recommended areas too. Rent is high, and I think landlords will make the most of it :-) We have been looking in Rolleston, and around the $500-600 mark. My other half is lucky that his job is paying his rent and then our first 2 months rent when we move. plus relocation cost and he gets a car and fuel card. So we know we are being giving an helping hand to go. The company believe in supporting us to make the settlement easier so we can focus on being there. We are a bit excited, giddy, nervous etc.

My girls are 8 and 10 and are looking forward to it so apart from chatting away and telling you my story I was wondering if anyone could give us some answers to some questions;

My girls love gymnastics (both of them) are there are recommeded clubs ?
    My odlest girl loves football and swimming too, the youngest is a ballet and dance girl so we wondered again if people have recommendations?

Anyone give other suggestions for suburbs (away from the coast) and where you can commute to Chrsitchurch ?
    Job agencies etc for me. I will want to try to get a temp job or something (as I am quite a sociable person and need grown up talk!!!) I am Currently a Contact Centre Manager for The Open University so I have 100+ people to talk to everyday!!!!!! but at first I need to work term time.
    Plus I would really like anyone to feel free to email if you have kids a similar age as I think it will help them to know of some kids in a similar boat.

I think thats it for now!!!

Cheers.

The company believe in supporting us to make the settlement easier so we can focus on being there.
    Looks like it's all go for you, good luck.

How exciting! Best of luck to your family.

Hi, how exciting.

We live in Rolleston, arrived last December. We have 2 boys who are also 10yrs and 8yrs. Our boys have settled in well and are enjoying school.

Just on a flying visit to the website at the mo but if I can help you with any info, send me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by janeyo View Post
    Hi, how exciting.

We live in Rolleston, arrived last December. We have 2 boys who are also 10yrs and 8yrs. Our boys have settled in well and are enjoying school.

Just on a flying visit to the website at the mo but if I can help you with any info, send me a pm
    Hi Thanks all for the good luck messages. We are quite giddy and excited. However it is hard at home as his family are quite upset and we are trying not to play up on it much to help them. The girls are really excited about this, just need it to hurry up :-) Janeyo - I have sent a pm thank you

Commuting from the north is a nightmare; the traffic is terrible so I wouldn't consider anywhere north of the Waimak' river

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Commuting from the north is a nightmare; the traffic is terrible so I wouldn't consider anywhere north of the Waimak' river
    Thanks.....we had seen a place in that direction....I will add it to the Hubsters list! he is going to be busy! :-)

As far as football, I'd contact this place: http://www.actionindoorsports.com/ch...junior-6-aside

I have a 5-a-side team I play with during the week and it's a good place to play so worth checking to see if any teams need players.

Quote Originally Posted by EMME2709 View Post
    My oldest girl loves football and swimming too, the youngest is a ballet and dance girl so we wondered again if people have recommendations?
    There are plenty of football clubs if she wants to play outdoor.
    I know the club I play at has an all girls 10th grade team, so there must be others in the league.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast