Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skilled Job assessment

Default Skilled Job assessment

Hello ENZ folks,
    wanted to know if there is a procedure to get one's job assessed as skilled? Like how NZQA assess one's qualification, is there an organization which assess employment? The reason I ask is my CO has mentioned that "The fact that you meet the skill level for your job as per the ANZSCO through over 5 years of relevant work experience is not relevant as your job was not assessed as skilled"
    Thanks in advance

There isn't an organization which assesses a job, no.

The requirements an employment has to meet to be considered as skilled are detailed at SM7.10 and SM7.15 here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30545.htm If the description of your work does not match up, that's when the CO has to refuse recognition. Normally, if they are thinking of doing this, they will contact you and say why they consider the job does not fit, and give you a chance to comment. For instance, if the ANZSCO description of your work includes managing others in the work force, and decision making, but the letter from your employer mentions nothing like that, it can sound as though you just do what he tells you all day, so that is not a skilled role. If it is just a question of the employer having badly worded their letter so it gives the wrong impression, it is possible that he can rewrite the letter (preferably carefully looking at what is required by ANZSCO, perhaps with your help), and the CO will be able to accept the job as being skilled.

Also, a job can be skilled in one sense - that is it appears on ANZSCO, but if it is a level 4 or 5 ANZSCO skill, it doesn't count for residence. The definitive list is in Appendix 6 of the INZ Operational Manual.

Thanks JandM and Karen for your response, Just to let you know that my job falls under Skill level 1 that is ICT Professional but no point in bragging about it now, INZ has made their decision and declined my application. I've been living in New Zealand for past 3 years doing the same job and for 8 years in total but INZ doesn't think that I am worthy enough for a residence visa. I feel pretty useless about myself, the mistake I did was not studying IT in college because I lacked the very obvious forethought that someday I would be in New Zealand.

One suggestion would be to show present and past job contracts which describe your roles and responsibilities. At least, the existing NZ employer would be able to provide this, as it is common to mention job role in contracts here. This will help you in claiming EoI points. I am sure there are many cases where applicants formal qualifications do not relate to job they have been doing.

Hi Otaku,
    I am on a deputation from an overseas company(Indian), and INZ doesn't recognize my employer as NZ employer.

Yes. The Comparable Labour Market for work experience comes into play if you don't either match the LTSSL criteria for that job or have a job/ job offer from a NZ employer. Don't feel bad about yourself, this has happened through failing to match a complex set of instructions, not through your failure. I doubt that anyone thinks you're "not worthy" - I imagine the person who had to make the decision was saddened to have to do so. Ask yourself what you have learnt that will be useful in the future and then start to think what you are going to do about it. Is now the time to do a one year Graduate Diploma in IT in NZ? You may well be eligible without a degree on the basis of your work experience or you might be eligible because you have a degree in another discipline. Then you would have the points and also, you would be eligible for the post-study work visas. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Senior's, I also fall under the near similar scenario of Red2014, hence I'm posting my query from this thread. I relocate to my NZ company last year on deputation from overseas and working at client place. Now my residency app in process with CO. recently my CO raised concerns saying! "you may be temporarily base in NZ for stated period and you are an employee of an overseas company carrying out work in NZ, but not NZ employer and your employment does not appear to qualify for points under SMC and employment does not satisfy SM7.15(b)(i)." my CO invited my comment on it and decision on with hold. What should I do, does my case goes complex!!. the Fact is my NZ company is well supporting me they have provided supporting certificate to proceed to get residency, and my work, reporting structure, paying salary, benefits etc from NZ company only. I have 9 year IT experience and my skill under LTSSL, I had my degree and post-graduate in IT. in addition my WP expires in next month and my Overseas company plan in process to extend my WP for next two years, since there is more work coming on my skill and they wanted me to continue my extended role at current client place.
    Note: SM.15(b)(ii) is says eligibility of contractors for residency, is this provision helps in my case.
    Can you guys please suggest/guide me to proceed further.. Thanks in advance.

I don't know enough to be able to help. Is your employer a NZ registered company or are you being paid from an overseas company? Would you have enough points to apply without a job offer? I would definitely reply - you have nothing to lose and you must meet the deadline set. You are not a contractor if you are employed. A contractor is self-employed.

Karen, Yes my employer is NZ Ltd company, and I'm paid by NZ company not by overseas company. I got total 170 points (as per CO's comment under SM7.. may deduct my SMC 50 pts), yes I am employee of NZ company and my Employment support letter from NZ company clearly saying Full time employee of NZ ltd company etc.. with the detailed Job description.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast