Thread: Dual US/NZ Citizenship - passport questions

Default Dual US/NZ Citizenship - passport questions

We are getting our NZ citizenship in a couple months and had a few questions regarding passports - specifically when traveling to the US.

Is there any issues with a US/NZ dual citizen traveling to the US on a NZ passport? Do they give you any issues at US customs?

Our US passports expire in about a year, and if we have NZ passports for travel, is there any reason to pay the fees and get the US ones updated?
    Last edited by TJH; 8th April 2014 at 06:33 AM.

Default I think you will need US passport

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    We are getting our NZ citizenship in a couple months and had a few questions regarding passports - specifically when traveling to the US.

Is there any issues with a US/NZ dual citizen traveling to the US on a NZ passport? Do they give you any issues at US customs?

Our US passports expire in about a year, and if we have NZ passports for travel, is there any reason to pay the fees and get the US ones updated?
    We are joint US/UK citizens. They don't mind dual citizenship in US but are clear that you need to enter the US on your US passport. YMMV but we personally keep ours up. Would be interesting to know whether NZ authorities care about NZ citizens coming in on non-NZ passports. I reckon they would be far more pragmatic.

... but you still have to prove to the border people that your a NZ citizen and once you are no longer in possession of another passport with a NZ residence visa (because the passport has been renewed), you will need to travel with both passports. We just always keep both with us and use the NZ in and out of NZ and the UK in and out of the UK.

If you want to be considered a citizen when you enter the US, you should enter on US passport. http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html
    NZ's stance: http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1171

I do wonder if you enter US on foreign passport, if the US could then later use that as evidence that you intended to give up your US citizenship. I've not ever heard of this happening. Has anyone else? I suppose you'd have to find yourself in a real pickle for the US gov't to take notice of this and actively use it against you.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 8th April 2014 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    If you want to be considered a citizen when you enter the US, you should enter on US passport. http://travel.state.gov/content/trav...tionality.html
    NZ's stance: http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1171

I do wonder if you enter US on foreign passport, if the US could then later use that as evidence that you intended to give up your US citizenship. I've not ever heard of this happening. Has anyone else? I suppose you'd have to find yourself in a real pickle for the US gov't to take notice of this and actively use it against you.
    I don't think it would be a big problem for people with dual citizenship with allied countries, but I'm always careful about it, since as dede said the US clearly stipulates that US citizens should use their US passport when traveling to the US. I doubt it would cause you any real trouble but at the same time I don't consider it to be a major expense to renew them so I keep them up-to-date.

My experience, it's best to travel on the passport you leave NZ. It saves a lot of time for US border security to check your background. When you use different passports on your trip, it confuses them. For other countries it's not really an issue (ie leave NZ arrive UK to use UK passport and arrive back NZ to use NZ passport).

Depending how you're crossing US border (air/boat/foot), the visa waiver application is minimal cost. More costly if you fly as you will need ESTA.

TJH: which part of Alaska are you from?

In general, the advice is to use the passport of the country (if you have it) that you are entering or leaving. We've always stuck to that, even though at times it has meant to carry around three passports per person, but we have never had any issues (no one has ever been confused as long as you enter and leave on the same one).

I think this has to do with what nationality you want to be considered in the country, and I would assume unless you have strong reasons not to, it is always be better to be considered a citizen than not, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post

TJH: which part of Alaska are you from?

Rural interior.

Just thought to ask since I know Alaska quite well.