Thread: Visa for wife's child

Default Visa for wife's child

Hi!

I am on student visa and I would like to know what are my options in bringing my wife and her son here in New Zealand.

I understand that after graduation, I can get a Graduate Search Visa, and if successfully employed w/ a job related to the course I took, I can apply for Resident Visa. (please help me expound on this matter)

Should I be granted a Resident Visa and bring my wife here, can she bring her child too? The child is 3 years old. My wife never married the child's father and I knew her after that. I have treated the child as my own since.

I know this is a bit off the topic, but should I want to adopt him, what laws should I look into, say, I have been granted residency successfully.

Thanks for all your replies!

Hi. What course are you studying in NZ? For some courses, so long as you and your wife can prove partnership for at least a few months, preferably a year, you wife can join you. You can apply at the same time for the dependent child of a Partnership-based Work Visa holder to get a visitor visa. It all depends on whether you are on a course that is listed on the LTSSL or a post-Grad qualification. Later residence possibilities should be straight forward so long as you have the evidence and also either a court order or the child's father's permission to take him from his own country.