Thread: Got fired from work while processing residency

Default Got fired from work while processing residency

Hi guys,

It's been a tough day for me and my husband. We got selected in the EOI pool last March 19 and any moment from now, immigration would likely email us for the necessary documents. Things run smoothly.. But just this morning, my husband got fired by his employer. I'm worried that our application for residency would be declined because of the unexpected turn of events.

What do you think would happen if the immigration finds out that my husband, being the principal applicant, got fired while processing our residency? What are our stand just in case we didn't get a job right away? Can he file another work visa eventhough he has no job offer yet? What are our options?

We really wanted to be a resident of this beautiful and peaceful country. Badly need your opinion/advise on this.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeney_04 View Post
    Hi guys,

It's been a tough day for me and my husband. We got selected in the EOI pool last March 19 and any moment from now, immigration would likely email us for the necessary documents. Things run smoothly.. But just this morning, my husband got fired by his employer. I'm worried that our application for residency would be declined because of the unexpected turn of events.

What do you think would happen if the immigration finds out that my husband, being the principal applicant, got fired while processing our residency? What are our stand just in case we didn't get a job right away? Can he file another work visa eventhough he has no job offer yet? What are our options?

We really wanted to be a resident of this beautiful and peaceful country. Badly need your opinion/advise on this.

Thank you.

I am sorry to hear that. You are obligated to inform immigration of any changes to your circumstances immediately. In your case, when you tell them, they will revise your EOI and exclude points for your partner's job and see how many points you then have. Depending on that, they will most likely put it back into the pool of EOI's if it doesn't meet their points benchmark which will most likely be the case as a job/job offer carries a high number of points.

He cannot generally apply for a new work visa without a job offer unless he has recently obtained a NZ qualification which is recognized to be associated to an occupation that is in demand. It doesn't sound like this is the case with you so the answer is no.

You only have two options -

1) Look for a new job while you are here, but first let immigration know that your husband has lost his job if his visa was linked to his employer and was not on an open work visa. They will probably give you a time frame to leave the country I guess. In that time, if he is able to secure a job then you can apply for a new work visa.

2) If you are also working and your job is skilled, you can put in an EOI as the principle applicant with your husband being a dependent.

People at Immigration NZ are generally very helpful and it is advisable that you go and have a chat with them about your situation as they may be able to suggest you your options.

So sorry to hear this.

dreammerchant is right, all along the line.

Your husband needs to find another skilled job and apply for another, different, work visa before starting work again. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...anotherjob.htm That is the first priority.