Thread: Applying for PR having got Residence Visa through Partnership with NZ Citizen

Default Applying for PR having got Residence Visa through Partnership with NZ Citizen

Hi,

Hopefully some of you can help me.

I was granted a Residence Visa though my partnership with my NZ girlfriend and I will be meeting the criteria of spending more than 183 days in NZ per year for 2 years. When I apply for PR when the Residence VISA expires I will be in NZ.

I want to apply for my PR but the partnership has changed. Although we are still in a kind of relationship she has moved to Australia to study and as such the relationship has dissolved somewhat and become a solid friendship will less commitment, although neither of us are seeing anyone else and we remain in touch almost daily.

As our relationship has changed and less committed and stable that it was when I applied am I correct to assume that this will not affect my PR application? It's seems that on the PR application form a continued partnership is not one of the criteria to attain PR. If I completed the form as being single without putting her details on it, including her passport photos, passport details etc, would I still get PR?

Secondly, the form has a declaration about convictions, being charged with or investigated for any offences committed (including traffic or driving offences)

I have not been convicted, charged or investigated as per the dictionary definitions of these words, however I have received 2 infringement notices for minor driving offences.

One was for speeding which was a fine and 20 demerit points and the other more recently a fine of $150 (no demerits) for overtaking on a flush median on my motor cycle.

Do I need to declare these offences and would they jeopardise and prevent me from getting my PR?

Many thanks
    Ian

The partnership was the reason for your being granted Residence, but the need for a reason is now in the past. Once granted, you HAVE Residence, just the same Residence as if it had come from SMC. So you're quite right that you can apply for PR without reference to the relationship - the only criteria are those mentioned in the regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30505.htm

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/48291.htm seems to be the listing of convictions which could cause a problem with a grant of PR.

Hi JandM,

I hoped that I would get a reply from you. You information always seems to be accurate and measured via a swift response and I appreciate that.

Now it would seem that the minor motoring infringements shouldn't have any bearing on the granting on the PR. If I don't mention them on the form, could I be seem to be providing false or misleading representation, or concealment of relevant information that could jeopardise my PR? Would it be considered relevant information?

The meaning of a conviction isn't entirely clear. I was given an infringement notice for an offence rather than being charged or having to attend court and being convicted of an offence.

I suppose that the right thing to do would be to mention them on the form and hope that the infringements don't cause any issues with the granting of PR.
    Last edited by ian5708; 10th April 2014 at 11:47 AM.

I had a speeding fine and I disclosed it, just to be on the safe side. PR visas were granted in under a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    I had a speeding fine and I disclosed it, just to be on the safe side. PR visas were granted in under a week!
    Ok Mamee & Co, thank you for sharing your experience.