Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wainuiomata

Sorry but you are not correct , Wainuiomata does not have a gang problem, sure there are gang members who live there but there are many more that live in other areas like Petone , Naenae , Taita , Waiwhetu , Pomare and Upperhutt . Wainuiomata is a good community and the reason it is cheaper is that it is further away from Wellington than Lowerhutt , however is only a 5 minute drive over the hill .

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=41820 em, that's really not true why its cheaper. I have a friend who stitches these people up. I frankly wouldn't suggest the original poster live in those other places either. By Petone I would mean parts of the foreshore area; other parts are lovely. BTW anyone in a gang has undergone a particularly unpleasant criminal initiation. They are seriously bad news.

But we talking about Wanui not Manchester here...I stayed there and in NAenae nxt to it...its full of gangs,and a lot of thse ppl dont work.Most is govnment houses etc.
    Just stay in Lower hutt or Petone...10mins drive or take bus.

Default You are spot on , Wainuiomata is a great community with no gang problem at all

Quote Originally Posted by robocop View Post
    Sorry but you are not correct , Wainuiomata does not have a gang problem, sure there are gang members who live there but there are many more that live in other areas like Petone , Naenae , Taita , Waiwhetu , Pomare and Upperhutt . Wainuiomata is a good community and the reason it is cheaper is that it is further away from Wellington than Lowerhutt , however is only a 5 minute drive over the hill .

I have a friend living at the far end of Wainui, and she swears it's just full of old people now, and young immigrants, but that might be just her street.
    We lived in Fairfield and Epuni, for a year each, and people would react strongly to Epuni. 'What?! Really?! OMG!' were common responses. Reputations are always based on some truth, but can also be very 'worn'.
    By this I mean, for example, the reputation that England is a good football team, or Britain is 'Great' or 'mighty' are essentially reputations that we're now coasting along on, but which are no longer necessarily true.
    I think many parts of the Welly region are suffering from reputations they developed 50 or 60 years ago, which don't really hold true nowadays.
    That said, it's really hard to know how an area will be when you're an immigrant as you just can't read it the same way as a local, who will also have those 'tinted' views. If you're doubting Wainui, you could opt for the Hutt to start with and see how you go. Wainui is WAYYYYY cheaper for buying though...

I have lived in Wainuiomata for 30 years. I was bought up in Wainuiomata left when I was 18, went and lived in Australia for 14 years. Everyone that bags Wainuiomata maybe right on some small level, but wrong on so many others. I have never come across the problems that so many others have claimed to have come across in all my time here. We are no worse than anywhere else one might live in NZ.
    The same dramas happen where ever you live. Gangs, stealing, what ever. Don't bag a place if you've never lived here. There are plenty of GPS here. 12 mins to Lower Hutt, 30 mins to Wellington.

My job agency has suggested a job in Wainuiomata near Wellington. Some of the pictures look nice but does anyone have any info on what it is actually like to live and or work there? Also any infomration about the GP practices there would be helpful.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Interested to hear from any new immigrants (or Kiwis) from this thread who made the decision to move to Wainuiomata. As we try to make a decision on where to land when we finally (finally) make the move to NZ, it's on our list. The value for money on the homes there looks excellent compared to some of the other suburbs in the area, and I've read the comments here about gangs and crime, but looking at the NZ Herald's crime map, it doesn't look to be remarkably worse than any other place. I've done some Google searches for Mongrel Mob and Wainui as suggested, and read some of the news stories...I'm not too put off, but perhaps my tolerance has been made abnormally high as once upon a time I lived in Baltimore, Maryland, a city where 5 homicides a week was the norm.

If anything, I'm more worried about a commute into Wellington. Is there anyone doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by diallta View Post
    Interested to hear from any new immigrants (or Kiwis) from this thread who made the decision to move to Wainuiomata. As we try to make a decision on where to land when we finally (finally) make the move to NZ, it's on our list. The value for money on the homes there looks excellent compared to some of the other suburbs in the area, and I've read the comments here about gangs and crime, but looking at the NZ Herald's crime map, it doesn't look to be remarkably worse than any other place. I've done some Google searches for Mongrel Mob and Wainui as suggested, and read some of the news stories...I'm not too put off, but perhaps my tolerance has been made abnormally high as once upon a time I lived in Baltimore, Maryland, a city where 5 homicides a week was the norm.

If anything, I'm more worried about a commute into Wellington. Is there anyone doing that?
    Hi diallta, Wellington per se is still a good area. I'd be careful if I were you and planning to buy, get a few quotes from insurance companies as the premiums and excess have gone off the roof in the Wellington area. Some places are too high risk and are not even insured any longer. I'd be wise to fully insure the house and mandatory if you're getting a mortgage but because of the price, if calculated with the value of the house it could pump the price well up as properties anywhere else. Just sharing, I've got a friend that bought a house there and the insurance only partially covers for it and still millions at year. So she's now stuck with a house that sold for a fair price and a policy she can't afford. Let alone claim anything worst case scenario.

georginnes, I appreciate your reply. We are planning to buy--a mortgage is a possibility, though we're trying to find something affordable and modest, but nice. You know, the type of place that was all over trademe a few years ago but now seems to have all but disappeared, unfortunately.

With respect to insurances, I'm guessing you are referring to earthquake insurance? Can you share any information regarding what the policy costs are, especially relative to other areas? I do understand that the government provides $100,000 worth of cover, but you would be responsible for any difference versus the value of your house.

What do you mean by "insurance only partially covers for it and still millions at year"? Just using the word "millions" make me feel like your friend is in a much different economic position than we are.

Hi love! Sure thing. Will have a word about it with my husband (he's a manager in insurance company here yet thank God he's not one of those sharks selling or in claims and underwriting) and my friend the house owner. I don't want to give you the wrong information nor discourage you from buying so I'll ask and will come back to you hopefully tomorrow with concrete stuff you can research on. Ok?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast