Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wainuiomata

Default Wainuiomata

Hi all,

My job agency has suggested a job in Wainuiomata near Wellington. Some of the pictures look nice but does anyone have any info on what it is actually like to live and or work there? Also any infomration about the GP practices there would be helpful.

Thanks

Wouldn't be the first place I'd be looking for a job or place to live in the Wellington area. The area has some socio-economic challenges.

Wainui is a short drive from Lower Hutt, so no reason you couldn't line in the Hutt Valley (or Wellington) and travel over to Wainui for work. I've only been back in the country a year, but have not been over to Wainui since being back. Not really any reason to. There's a big regional forest park over there but not much else that would cause me to drive over there.

Default It's pretty isolated

Quote Originally Posted by geordiegirl View Post
    Hi all,

My job agency has suggested a job in Wainuiomata near Wellington. Some of the pictures look nice but does anyone have any info on what it is actually like to live and or work there? Also any infomration about the GP practices there would be helpful.

Thanks
    Work maybe. Live? In all honesty I would not want to live there. Rep for gangs. It's in its own valley cut off from the world. Some nice parts and on the way to the forest park. But parts of it are downright scary.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    Work maybe. Live? In all honesty I would not want to live there. Rep for gangs. It's in its own valley cut off from the world. Some nice parts and on the way to the forest park. But parts of it are downright scary.
    I disagree,sorry... We have moved to the Lower Hutt area and are looking at buying land in the park avenue area of wainuiomata so we can build. I've driven there all different times of the day and not seen any gangs or unruly kids ... Not like you would see in the gorton area of Manchester ..... There is no scary ness here not compared to rough Manchester. There is a great mountain bike park there as well and the view from the top of the hill is fab .

Debidoos - welcome to the Hutt! I've lived here for 6 years. I would take a guess at you being a recent immigrant as your location still says UK. Knowing about locations is information you gather over time and living in an area. Yes there are some nice parts of Wainui but its reputation for bad areas/gangs etc has come from fact. A view and a nice park don't make an area any better or worse!

Good luck though if you really want to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    Debidoos - welcome to the Hutt! I've lived here for 6 years. I would take a guess at you being a recent immigrant as your location still says UK. Knowing about locations is information you gather over time and living in an area. Yes there are some nice parts of Wainui but its reputation for bad areas/gangs etc has come from fact. A view and a nice park don't make an area any better or worse!

Good luck though if you really want to live there.
    Hi cappuccino yes we are recent immigrants but I have to say we have lived in a variety of places including the UK and Australia. I agree that you obtain more info having lived in an area over time and welcome you to provide fact to justify your claim. As you have lived in Lower Hutt in the last six years you have not lived in Manchester and experienced life in gorton. Look at the stats and you will see it's not comparable. The population in Manchester is almost double and levels of crime horrendous. Wainui is on no way par with this ... I'm well aware that a view and a nice park don't make an area better or worse but in my opinion you don't know what crime and gang culture is till you've lived in Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by Debidoos View Post
    Hi cappuccino yes we are recent immigrants but I have to say we have lived in a variety of places including the UK and Australia. I agree that you obtain more info having lived in an area over time and welcome you to provide fact to justify your claim. As you have lived in Lower Hutt in the last six years you have not lived in Manchester and experienced life in gorton. Look at the stats and you will see it's not comparable. The population in Manchester is almost double and levels of crime horrendous. Wainui is on no way par with this ... I'm well aware that a view and a nice park don't make an area better or worse but in my opinion you don't know what crime and gang culture is till you've lived in Manchester.
    The crime/gang culture in Manchester has absolutely nothing compared to that of Detroit Michigan.

Don't take my word for it. Google Mongrel Mob and Wainui. It's a problem in other parts of Lower Hutt too - hence the recent murder in Petone (where part of the foreshore is bad news too). I've lived in tough places myself and my spidey sense is out in Wainui. Not as overt perhaps as Manchester but the Mongrel Mob and other gangs are seriously bad news.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=5570130. It's urban humour but you get the drift.

Wainui might not be as bad as Manchester, or Detroit, or Compton, but compared to other parts of the Wellington area, it is a little rough. It might be better than where the OP is from, but in general its not as nice as other nearby areas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast