Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student Visa Questions

Default Student Visa Questions

So my long-term goal is to move to NZ permanently as my boyfriend and best friend are out there. I also would like to go to school at University of Waikato in Hamilton.

So I guess I have two questions.

If I am trying to enroll in an academic program at the beginning of 2015, when would I need to have my student visa approved? Before or after I am accepted at Waikato? I assume I may have to prove I am enrolled in a NZ university before gaining a student visa.

Second question - What's the fastest/easiest way to transition from a student visa to a permanent residency visa once I am in the country?

Celeste

If I am trying to enroll in an academic program at the beginning of 2015, when would I need to have my student visa approved? Before or after I am accepted at Waikato? I assume I may have to prove I am enrolled in a NZ university before gaining a student visa.
    You need to look here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/ to begin to understand the requirements. You can't get a visa without the firm offer of a place (and other issues like finance, health and character), and you can't start the course without a visa.
    Second question - What's the fastest/easiest way to transition from a student visa to a permanent residency visa once I am in the country?
    It's possible to move to Residence in your own right (PR is a different visa you can qualify for after two years as a Resident) if you get the offer of a skilled job after you qualify from your course in NZ. Either you can use the entitlement to a Post-Study Work Visa http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1074 to allow you to job-hunt for a skilled position, then move on to apply under SMC, or, if you are offered skilled work directly, you can use a work visa to bridge the time gap. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm

Otherwise, if you are involved with and eventually live with a NZ national or someone holding NZ Residence, you can be sponsored by your partner, firstly for a partner-sponsored work visa (in the shorter term) http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, then for partner-sponsored Residence http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm.

Hi. I have worked for the University of Waikato and also delivered one of their degrees, so I may be able to give you useful advice. You can start in either July or February for many courses. (You can study in Hamilton or in Tauranga) for some.) I recommend that applicants apply and get an offer of place. Accept it - but don't pay the fee immediately. Then apply for the student visa - showing sufficient funds for accommodation etc ($15,000 NZ) or a Guardian or Sponsorship. Once the visa is approved in principle, then pay the fee to the University and send the receipt to the INZ office. Then your visa is issued. I suggest this method because almost all providers retain a small sum ($200 NZ ish) if you pay and enrol and then change your mind (or can't get a visa). Hope this helps.

hello house,how best is the way to get an offer for phd studies in NZ?

Sounds like the partner-sponsored visa/residence might be a bit quicker, and I will be living with my boyfriend while I am down there.

So a follow-up question, if I am planning to go to school in the February term, when should I apply at Waikato? I already began an application there, but I am discovering their standards are quite a bit different than those in the States. Am I too early to apply for university and/or a student visa? I will be able to have my boyfriend and friends sponsor me.

The hard part is figuring out how to pay the first year's tuition up front. I have already done my FAFSA and I'm not sure the aid I get from that will cover all of my tuition/course fees. I have already looked through a lot of the scholarships available in NZ, and I don't seem to be eligible for a single one of them. Do you know of any scholarship/grant programs in the US I can apply for?

Celeste

Hi. It is probably better to wait until late July for a February start. Any time before November =, but August - October would be fine. There are some scholarships or international students once they have been accepted. You can get a guarantor from the US if you know anyone or your boyfriend could possibly sponsor you form in NZ if he has he funds. Bear in mind that while you have to pay the fees and show the funds for living costs ($15,000 NZ) you don't necessarily have to spend the living cost money. As you will be living with your boyfriend and you can work up to 20 hours a week, you should be okay. If money becomes a really major issue, you might find the fees for something similar are less at Wintec - www.wintec.ac.nz (also in Hamilton). It doesn't have the same status a Waikato Uni, but it could be a good alternative, depending on what you want to study.

Hi omooba14 - not sure who "house" is. To get an offer of a PhD please, you will need to identify a University with the right research areas, write a PhD proposal, send this to the University together with the thesis you have hopefully written as part of your Masters degree and also provide evidence that your English is of a high enough standard (IELTS 7.0 or even 7.5). If you think you might be eligible and need help, you will need to send me a private message.

Thanks for the information. I will look into Wintec as well.

Celeste

@karen,
    Thanks.i would look into the universities and apply.
    If phd student don't get funding and on personal limited budget, what are jobs opportunities to keep up ?

Hi Celeste,

I can tell you my history here in NZ and answer your second question.

Came to NZ first time in 2009 holding a WHV. Then I returned to my home country but released I wanted to be in NZ, work and live here permanently. The only option was....get a new visa as a student. The student visa was really easy to get, then I started uni in feb 2012, passed all the papers -good grades - then I got an open work visa or graduate job search visa (1 year open work visa), then I found a job as Personal Assistant for an international investment company - I have to say it wasn't really easy find a decent job and basically I got the position as a result of my qualification in business and i can speak spanish and english. Our company has clients in latin america (lucky me). my open work visa expired march 2013 and I applied for a graduated job experience visa. (2 years visa). So now I have a work visa till March 2016. Recently, my employer has offered me a position as client services manager. AND HERE I AM. I reckon, this is the way to get PR if you come to NZ as a student. I hope to say one day: only took me 3 years to get the residence!!!

Future plans. I want to applied for a work visa - variation of condition as a client services manager. Then applied to EOI. and here I have a QUESTION!!!!! maybe Karen or someone else can help me?

I am using points calculator to estimate my points. not sure if I am wrong or not?????.

Age 32 = 25 points
    Recognised qualification (level 7 or 8) = 50 points (got a Postgraduate Diploma in Business Level 8)
    post-graduate qualification gained in New Zealand bonus point = 10 points (Postgraduate Diploma in Business level 8 gained in NZ one year full time study)
    skilled employment in NZ = 50 points currently working as Personal Assistant but job offer (for the same employer)as Client Services Manager (List B, appendix 6)

total = 135 points

I just want to know if my calculation is fine or not?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast