Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving OH behind - what visa?

Default Leaving OH behind - what visa?

Need advice from someone who may have gone through the same.

I have the chance of a good job - interview this Sunday. If I get it (pretty hopeful) then it would mean me moving to NZ and leaving OH behind to look after his mum. He will join me once she has gone. However that could be a few years. I have 2 options for visa's - either SMC or WTR. SMC is permanent - I think I will have either 135 or 140 points with a job offer so stand a good chance of getting selected etc... However I would have to put OH on it and he might not join me within 2 years so his PR would expire before he's even lived in the country. If I got WTR I could get him one so he can come and visit whenever and then after 30 months apply for residency - however the problem with applying for residency after I've been in the country for a couple of years is proving my relationship with OH. Normally you have to prove you have been living in a stable relationship for 12 months but if we are living apart (but still together as a couple) how can I prove we are still in a stable relationship?

Don't want to go if there is no option for a visa for him after say 3 years. Any suggestions? I would ring NZ House but they a=charge £1 a minute and I've lost the direct line number for immigration from when we emmigrated before

If you get Residence under SMC, with your OH on the application, all it needs is for him to activate the visa by going to NZ for a visit, then he would have Residence also. After two years of you living in NZ and fulfilling the necessary conditions (just you doing it), you could apply for Permanent Residence for him as well http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm - you, the principal applicant, having met the conditions entitles him, too.

And you only need a minimum of 100 points to get selected under SMC with a skilled job offer.

Just wanted to say 'Welcome back'! Good luck for your interview.

Good luck with the interview. Are you thinking of going back to Christchurch?

If you go SM route I thought OH only needs to come out once to activate his Residence and can go back to UK. The rest of the process is totally based on your eligibilty.
    DS was in UK Uni for most of the two years for my OH to get PR and he got his PR at the same time no questions asked.

Simon

Thanks guys - so that looks promising then. What about if I went the WTR visa route? I suppose it is different as the WTR would be for me only and he would have to apply separately.

It's as you said yourself - with a WTR, you could sponsor him for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa in the first place, but after that ran out, you'd have a harder job. INZ are understanding about periods of time apart when there's an established couple who have a reason such as work or study to be away for a finite amount of time, and they've seen evidence both that they've lived together over a period of time in the first place, and that they keep in contact and maintain the relationship, but I've never heard of them nodding through a gap of years. (The evidence of maintaining the relationship is such things as Skype, email and phone records, and that some spending by each party is for the good of the other, or of the shared home when they get together.)

Interviews tonight by Skype - so fingers crossed. Job is in the Hutt Valley. Still got mixed feelings about leaving OH for an undetermined period - although we should be able to see each other once a year for a few weeks or more if finances work out ok.

All the best.

I wish you luck with your interview but not sure how your relationship will survive without seeing him for a few yrs. Why not wait a few yrs and come back together?

I know what you mean Hagabel. That is something we are thinking about. Not heard about the job yet anyway. Interview went well but they said they hoped to be able to make a decision before the Easter holiday but now it is Good Friday I'm not expecting much. The only reason we are considering doing something so drastic is that these jobs don't come up very often and it is an excellent opportunity. Age is against me (only 6 years left before I am too old) so the chances of another similar job coming up in the same area within that time frame are remote.

Lots of talking and decisions - if I get the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast