Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Citizenship Application Timeline

Default Citizenship Application Timeline

We are getting close to putting in our applications for citizenship.

For anyone who has recently went through the process.....
    How long is the wait typically from application submission until you are notified that it is approved and that you can now attend a citizenship ceremony?

About 3 to 4 months after your application has been accepted.
    Link : http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...nDocument#four

Actually what that link states how long the average wait for a ceremony after your application is approved, not accepted/submitted.

I was looking for any info on how long the wait is to get an application approved after it is submitted to Internal Affairs.

husband's timeline last year - application submitted 18 April, approval letter dated 20 May, citizenship ceremony 27 August. This was in Auckland, I think the timing/frequency of the citizenship ceremonies varies by location.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    husband's timeline last year - application submitted 18 April, approval letter dated 20 May, citizenship ceremony 27 August. This was in Auckland, I think the timing/frequency of the citizenship ceremonies varies by location.
    Thank's for the clarifying the time frame. Still got another year (and a bit) to go before I can submit my application.

Time for me to apply...

we are applying at the end of the month fingers crossed!

I have very recent experience of this, via the central Auckland Department of Internal Affairs office.

My initial interview with a case officer was on 11th March 2014. They checked that I had filled out the forms correctly, that I did really meet the criteria for citizenship before taking my money, witnessed my signature and photographs. The interview is not mandatory but I think it is well worth doing this if you live near enough to one of their offices. It eliminated any uncertainty, made the whole application process very easy for me and is, quite frankly, superb customer service!

The letter stating that citizenship had been approved was dated 25th March 2014.

The letter advising me of the Citizenship ceremony was dated 24th April 2014.

The citizenship ceremony will be on 19th May 2014.

Citizenship is not given until the ceremony.

I think my application was pretty straight-forward though so more difficult cases could take longer, or possibly there are easier cases that are done more quickly than that. I have only ever made one application myself so I am not really equipped to make a judgement on whether my experience was quick or slow. It was roughly what I was expecting though.
    Last edited by Clappy; 3rd May 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    we are applying at the end of the month fingers crossed!
    Getting closer!

We've got another year before we can even apply!

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    Getting closer!

We've got another year before we can even apply!

A very close friend of mine applied 7 months ago and hasn't even gotten approval yet for some reason. He did mention to me that he wrote in his application form that he intends to go to "Australia" for a "holiday" in the next 12 months, where they ask you if you intend to travel outside of NZ if granted citizenship. Whenever he contacts the department he is told that his application is still being processed.

Apparently, and understandably, they are suspecting he might just leave permanently upon receipt of citizenship. So, a quick tip here for all my friends wanting to apply for citizenship - please don't write that you intend to travel to "Australia" if you want to get your application processed faster. :-)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast