Thread: partner residence visa

Default partner residence visa

My partner recently got her 1-year partnership based work visa. The documents were submitted on Mar 24, 2013, got the passport on April 14. The visa issue date was April 4, 2013. This seems to be a quick turnaround. We showed evidence of living together for 3 months. Had requested a 2-year work visa, but seems they only give 1-year work visa.

The logical next step is to apply for a residence visa after 1 year of living together. I was going through the form, and it says that the sponsoring partner should provide a police certificate from their country of citizenship. I had provided one when I applied for NZ residence, and have stayed in NZ since then. Is this is a hard requirement? It is generally hard to get the certificate from here as sending the fingerprints is difficult. Lately, I noticed NZ Post doing it.

Anyone get police clearance from RCMP (Canada) using NZ Post fingerprinting? How long to get the clearance certificate?

What other documents need to be submitted (apart from the documents that we stayed together during the 1 year)?

Hi. It depends how long ago you applied for residence. Although you have not been back to Canada since then, if the time is more than 24 months, you will definitely need another one. Residence applications usually require a new one, but this is a partnership application and you aren't the actual applicant, so it might be possible for you to use the previous one if it is less than 24 months old. If not, I think I would get on with it. I have heard people talk about 3 months for the USA - not sure about Canada. I am sure others on the forum can help you. See Ops manual A5.10 d.iv. If oyu live anywhere near an INZ office I would pop in and ask. (I wouldn't necessarily rely on what you get told by the Contact Centre!)