Thread: Without a bachelor degree, what good are the chances?

Default Without a bachelor degree, what good are the chances?

Hello members!
    Me and my hubby are looking to relocate this year (hopefully!) to NZ.
    He has almost 10 years of experience in IT but doesn't have a Bachelor degree. He is looking to get certified in some vendor qualifications (Microsoft) and we are looking at submitting an EOI soon.
    We actually have an "interview" with a migration agent at The Emigration group but the fees are soo high! we could go to NZ for at least 2 weeks traveling from Dublin for that money...
    I have checked the thread with the diagram of how the process works (its excellent) we are just a bit "hesitant" about him not having a degree (I have one but I do not have as much experience in an industry in demand such as IT)
    We'll try to grill the migration agent as much as we can but definetely those fees put us off but we want to pursuit this!

Thanks
    Regards,
    Isabel & Vidar

I can't and won't comment on another agent's fees. Be aware that vendor certification will definitely help with getting a job, but it won't count for points towards SMC. However, depending on your husband's age, with a job offer in IT, points for your degree ( I don't know if it needs to be assessed or is on the Exempt List) and his work experience, you will have the 100 points you need if the EOI includes a job offer. Getting that job offer is not too easy from outside NZ, so travelling there and trying to get a job in person could be a good move. Without a degree, your husband can't claim any of the bonus points for work experience or qualifications in an Area of Absolute Skills Shortage. This means that without a job offer, the chances of getting to 140 points seem pretty remote - but I don't know all the details. Good luck!

Thanks Karen.
    For age, we are getting 25 points, I do not think my degree is on the Exempt List since I couldnt find it (Bachelor degree from Mexico in International Marketing)
    I thought for the EOI the min is 100 points. On the Immigration NZ calculator, we got 95 points, so definitely the job hunting is on. Do you think June would be a good "month" for job hunting in NZ? (In Europe, we have seen that at least 2 weeks in the summer and in December, the job market is quite slow but in January it picks up)
    Regards,
    Isabel

The regulations say that an EOI can be selected with a minimum of 100 points, but in practice as the quotas are at the moment, nobody with points as low as 100 is ever getting picked unless they have a job offer. EOIs with a minimum of 140 without a job offer get picked at the next selection. For instance, see here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iselection.htm

You are right about your qualification - no qualifications from Mexico are recognised. Is all your husband's work experience in Dublin and or UK or is some of it from elsewhere? Experience in some countries doesn't count unless you have a skill on the LTSSL or a job offer in NZ. JandM is of course absolutely right. Without a job offer, you are going to need 140 points. June would be a good month for job hunting in NZ. Not necessarily the best weather - but you can't win them all.

Thanks JandM and Karen
    His experience is from Norway and for the past 5 years, from Dublin (HP & Dell). His skill is listed on the LTSSL as ICT Support Engineer (263212)
    I'll get a result from a job interview at the end of next week so I really hope that EOI will include a job offer
    Regards,
    Isabel

I'll get a result from a job interview at the end of next week so I really hope that EOI will include a job offer
    You're going to have to decide who is the main applicant if you're going for SMC. All this about the classification of HIS job will be irrelevant if YOU are the person applying, with the job offer. Whoever is the partner, the secondary applicant, only has a maximum of 20 points for their qualifications, and a maximum of 20 for a job or job-offer they can contribute, however high-skilled and qualified they are - and those aren't any use if the principle applicant doesn't actually qualify. The regulations don't allow anyone to pick some aspects from one partner and some from the other.

Perhaps I should have especified. Yes, I would be the main applicant if I would get a job offer. He's also in the look out.