Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee machine?

Default Coffee machine?

Hi,
    I have a Nescafe Dolce Gusto coffee machine, which is from the USA (picture of plug: http://i.gyazo.com/0eb9e2a3c7f122c071eadffe543c9e3f.png )

Will this work in NZ? I really hope it does!!

I spent like $110 USD on it, so I really hope it works in NZ!

Will the following voltage work?

Voltage 120V, 60Hz
    Wattage 1500W

Hang on there - the guys in NZ with technical knowledge might have gone to bed! Meantime, till somebody sees your query, you can see if this makes some sense for you. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=591

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderu View Post
    Will the following voltage work?

Voltage 120V, 60Hz
    Wattage 1500W
    Not without a transformer, a convertor plug will not be enough and you will burn out your appliance. On any American appliance, if it doesn't say 100-240V on the input, you'll need a transformer.

And worse... I suspect a step-down transformer rated for that wattage would cost nearly as much as the coffee machine.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Not without a transformer, a convertor plug will not be enough and you will burn out your appliance. On any American appliance, if it doesn't say 100-240V on the input, you'll need a transformer.
    Thanks. If I shoved it into a convertor plug, what would happen out of curiosity (not that I am going to do it.). Will it burst into flames or something?

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderu View Post
    Thanks. If I shoved it into a convertor plug, what would happen out of curiosity (not that I am going to do it.). Will it burst into flames or something?
    I can only tell you what happened when I did this, it dies. There is a smell of electrical burning and then the appliance no longer works. The voltage is higher in NZ and I would think it is quite possible that it could start a fire.

I'm not sure if you used the word "shoved" just to mean plugged or if you think you'd have to force it. You don't have to force your American appliances into a converter plug as the plugs are made for this. Unless the appliance can handle the voltage (has the 100-240V mark on it), it will burn out.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 22nd April 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I can only tell you what happened when I did this, it dies. There is a smell of electrical burning and then the appliance no longer works. The voltage is higher in NZ and I would think it is quite possible that it could start a fire.

I'm not sure if you used the word "shoved" just to mean plugged or if you think you'd have to force it. You don't have to force your American appliances into a converter plug as the plugs are made for this. Unless the appliance can handle the voltage (has the 100-240V mark on it), it will burn out.
    haha sorry, I meant to plug it in.

Will investing in a USA 110V (220V to 110V step down transformer) work?

IEC/UL/CSA electrical code of practise will require the unit to have a fuse built in (or some safety protection circuit).

Transformers on large VA rating are not economical to use. Apart from the higher electrical use, they're heavy, bulky, and unsightly to see on the kitchen table.

There was a period where I brought all my music recording gear in the US/Can and would physically change the transformer inside the units to 240VAC. A small cost and great convenience - though for large high wattage items, you'll find it's best to just leave it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast