Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Registration Information

Default Electrical Registration Information

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. Let me briefly introduce myself, I am a an Electrical/Electronic Service Engineer repairing electrical and electronic equipment in the UK and I'm looking at moving to New Zealand with my wife and child.
    I notice that Electronic Equipment Tradesperson is on the ISSL and Electrician is on the LTSSL but I'm not totally sure about how to get electrical registration with the NZ EWRB.
    Does anyone have any information regarding electrical registration, is registration always required, which electrical trade licence do I apply for, would I be able to get a job as I need a job for more points.
    Finally, what experience and qualifications are the EWRB looking for when applying for registration, how much do they need to know? Is there a set format or template that can be used as a guide for stating experience and qualifications on the application form?
    Thank you for any information given

Techman

When you have made five posts on any thread, the forum will automatically switch on your ability to send and receive Private Messages, and then I'll be able to send you the example of stating your experience that others have used before you. I'm sure when NZ wakes up, people who know will be along to tell you the answers to your other questions.

Hello,

Thanks JandM.

Techman

Hi Techman

This page spells it out really clearly.
    http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/training-and...ualifications/

Depending on your UK qualification, you will probably not need to sit the theory exam, but will need a practical assessment of some kind and probably an examination about the regs (as they are in NZ) before you can fulfill the minimum terms for registration, you can be issued with a limited licence that allows you to work under supervision.

A $350 application fee includes assessment of your UK quals and tells you what else you need to do.

Hope that helps

Have a look what the manual on that page says

You might also want to have a look at the occupational outlook for electricians

http://www.dol.govt.nz/publications/...ectricians.pdf

Gives you some useful infor about salaries too. Limited licence is the closest to working without full registration, but tbh working under supervision pays peanuts. Will your wife be looking for paid work too? If you don't have money behind you you might struggle until you get fully registered and established.

Hi RedVee,

Thanks for the info and links. When I apply to the EWRB I have to decide whether to go for Appliance Service Person or Electrical Service Technician, as I am not an Installation Electrician. I have City and Guilds qualifications in Electrical/Electronics Engineering Servicing with experience in industrial and consumer equipment repair. Is it hard to find work?
    Also, my wife will be looking for paid work, she works in the social care industry.

Techman

Hi tech man,

Unfortunately, the long term skills shortage list says registration (with practising licence) as an electrician. They are very, very specific about the words they use, so they don't mean electrical service technician. I think you would struggle to get the points together to put in a skilled migrant application. A work visa, or work to residence visa is possible, but you will hit the problem of trying to secure a job whilst offshore, and at the moment you don't have the prerequisites most employers will look for. I found a couple of jobs on Seek so you can get an idea. In the domestic field, Haier dominates, having bought out Fisher and Paykel a couple of years ago. I don't want to discourage you, but it isn't that easy. Some tradespeople do well at the expos, where recruiters are looking for workers on temporary visas, but that wouldn't allow your wife to work and money could be tight. They are usually looking for installers, too.

Depending on your wife's qualification, she might score better as the principal applicant, although social work has its own registration body. If she could work whilst you did the things you needed to get registration, you would then be better placed. She might struggle with the job conundrum too. Most people need the job offer to get enough points.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, others may be able to make suggestions on other routes.

http://www.seek.co.nz/job/26355500

http://www.seek.co.nz/job/26341886

Hi RedVee,
    Thanks again for the info. I'm going to do some more research on the job situation. I know its not going to be easy but I'm prepared to give it a good go.

Techman

Hi JandM,

Have you still got the example for stating experience for NZ electrical registration? If you have could you please send me a copy, it would be a great help.
    Thanks.

Techman

There you are - check your PMs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast