Thread: Coming to New Zealand before obtaining a visa?

Default Coming to New Zealand before obtaining a visa?

I have been learning about the New Zealand immigration process for months now. It is very confusing. I am wondering what the general impressions are on this forum about the strategy of coming to New Zealand on a vistor's visa, looking for work, and then submitting an EOI once you're already in the country. I imagine this would make the job search easier (assuming companies are willing to hire on a contingency that you get a visa). Does this also give you a leg up on the competition during the EOI/ITA phase? Are people within the country already preferred to those who are applying from their native country? I am a United States citizen.

I have been learning about the New Zealand immigration process for months now. It is very confusing. I am wondering what the general impressions are on this forum about the strategy of coming to New Zealand on a vistor's visa, looking for work, and then submitting an EOI once you're already in the country.
    Many forum members have done this. They usually get a work visa first, as this can be processed in a quite short time, so they can be working already while their application under SMC takes whatever time it takes.
    Does this also give you a leg up on the competition during the EOI/ITA phase?
    If you put in an EOI with a job offer and a minimum of 100 points, it will be selected immediately at the next fortnightly draw.
    Are people within the country already preferred to those who are applying from their native country?
    Relevant comment on an old thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Many forum members have done this. They usually get a work visa first, as this can be processed in a quite short time, so they can be working already while their application under SMC takes whatever time it takes.
    I am a little confused. How would I get a work visa if I don't have a job offer? What are the requirements? Can you point me in the right direction for researching this? There are so many kinds of visas!

They come from abroad on a visitor's visa. They look for work. If they get a job offer, they can then put in for a work visa, and also for Residence under SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    They come from abroad on a visitor's visa. They look for work. If they get a job offer, they can then put in for a work visa, and also for Residence under SMC.
    I understand now. Thank you.