Thread: Unpaid research assistant visa

Default Unpaid research assistant visa

Hi, I am coming from Canada to New Zealand to work at two different universities as an unpaid research assistant. I am not getting paid, or given a place to stay or taking any classes. From my own research I don't think I need a visa and only a letter from the school saying I am doing this? Can anyone confirm

This is a quite uncommon question. How long are you expecting to be in NZ for this purpose?

Hi. From what you have told me, V3.130 would appear to apply, as follows. As you are from Canada, a country to which a visa-waiver applies, you can, as a "visiting academic" intending to carry out research, spend up to 3 months in NZ without the need to apply for a visa. On arrival, you should (other things being equal) be granted a visitor visa and entry permission. If you wish to stay longer than 3 months you would have to look at the need for a work visa. Technically, if you receive nothing in return for your efforts, you don't need a work visa as this doesn't get classed as work. You would however, need to obtain a new visa after 3 months and you could discuss with INZ what would be the best option at that time.

Thank you very much for your help I will be there for less than three months therefore visiting academic sounds like it does apply to my scenario.