Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hayfever & NZ

Default Hayfever & NZ

Hey there. Am considering moving to the Canterbury area in the next year or so.

Can anyone tell me what (if any) pollen levels are like over there compared to here in England? Anyone got any experience of it anywhere in NZ?

I have suffered with it really badly this year in this country. Last time I was in NZ was in the winter, so it was never really an issue.....

Had a bad experience - well - my son did. We were staying with the old in Thames (a long way from where you will be) and the pollen levels were off the scale. My eldest son had a MASSIVE asthma attack which the docs at the hospital said was directly caused by the pollen. We were told that the levels in that particular region were always very high, don't know if that's right but it certainly gave us a couple of days entertainment.

Diny

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear he had such a bad time. I do get minor asthmatic symptoms, but nothing that bad!

I guess once you've got it theres no escaping it, no matter where you are. Perhaps the antarctic would be the place to go?? Not a blade of grass to be seen for thousands of miles......

Hey Chief

I don't suffer from Hayfever as such, but I do suffer from dust and animal allergies.

Whenever I visit my father in law in the sticks out by Gisborne my head blows up, but I think this is more down to 'different' pollens and stuff rather than higher levels.

On the plus side Piriton kills any discomfort and I think it will abate after a while.

Cheers

CC

The only time I got hayfever while over there was heading inland away from the coast down south. I soon found a chemists!

I've heard people say that you're supposed to grow out of it by your late twenties.. however I knew someone who was 65 and had it all his life. Is there any hope??

Anyone had any success with those homeopathic remedies?

They say it's due to an over receptive (immature) immune system, As you grow older some peoples immune sytems become acclimatised. nSome people grow out of it, others find that their symptoms become less severe.

I had a bad year this year with hay fever. If it is pollen then apparantly one remedy is to eat local honey.

Someone who works for me swears by it.

But tree pollen affects me

Jo

That's true Jo - my nan always swore by that cure too. Something to do with 'antibodies' in the honey helping to build up a resistance to local pollen.

As you can see - I'm not at all medically or scientifically minded - but I'm a mine of useless info when it comes to old wives tales.

Diny

Netherlands ( and hopefully somewhere around Whangerei in a few years.. )

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum
    I've heard people say that you're supposed to grow out of it by your late twenties.. however I knew someone who was 65 and had it all his life. Is there any hope?? Anyone had any success with those homeopathic remedies?
    Hi ChiefWiggum, for what it's worth here's my experience : suffered from hayfever badly when I was little ( about 8 or so ), I had to stay in bed because it was almost impossible to breathe or see. When I was 15 I got 3 subdermal shots in my arm and since then it's nearly gone, I sneeze a lot but the pollen season almost doesn't affect me any more, the pollen rate has to be sky high but if so I take Allerfree ( Dutch ), and I'm pretty much in the clear for the rest of the day.

So I guess some people do grow over it in time.. there is hope yet !
    :hopeso

Margo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast