Thread: Health services on 3-year work visa

Default Health services on 3-year work visa

Just a clarification - we will be traveling to NZ on 3-year work visas. I was under the impression that if we had a work visa of 24 months or longer we were entitled to the same medical services as residents, but someone has just told me that this isn't true, and that only some services are covered for non-residents, but not major illnesses, etc. Is this true?

No, you're right and they're wrong. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, you're right and they're wrong. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more
    Thanks, JandM. I was worried there was a 2-tiered system they weren't telling me about!

JanM - does that mean even if on an open work visa (because hubby has a student visa), we(or I) would qualify for medical services? Would only myself qualify by virtue of an open work visa but not hubby who is on a student visa?

Depending on the length of your visa - if yours is for 24 months or more, you should be eligible. Most students are not eligible - they ended that right in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Depending on the length of your visa - if yours is for 24 months or more, you should be eligible. Most students are not eligible - they ended that right in 2003.
    Does that mean I'm eligible too?

Working Holiday Visa : January 2013-January 2014
    Visitor Visa: February 2014-August 2014
    Work Visa: August 2014-August 2015

Because it says

Proof of eligibility:

You will need to show your health service provider your valid passport endorsed (stamped) with a current work visa (or work permit), that:

entitles you to remain in New Zealand for a period that equals or exceeds two years (work visas start on the person’s first day in New Zealand) OR
    entitles you to remain in New Zealand for a specified period of time which, together with the period of time you have already been lawfully in New Zealand (ie. on other visas/permits), allows for a total continuous stay of at least two years.
    Note: Time spent lawfully in New Zealand immediately prior to the current work visa/permit counts towards the two years (ie. on a visitor or student visa/permit or another work visa/permit).

Looks like you are eligible. But to confirm, you can visit the Finance counter of a Public Hospital with your passport. They will take photocopies of Visa and can confirm.

Would it be enough to go to my GP with it as well? As soon as my passport comes back from INZ I will check it.

You could be lucky, but it depends on the individual doctor's practice - some of them are more clued up on immigration matters than others.