Thread: Visa approved in principle question

Default Visa approved in principle question

Hi everyone,

I'm applying for a partnership residency visa. I received an email on the 16th April from NZ immigration saying my online status had been changed, I went online and saw APPROVED in big capital letters next to my application. Thinking that was my visa sorted and I was legally allowed to work I called some recruitment agencies I had signed up for that I had my visa and could start working.

Last week they got me an interview which seemed to go well and was thinking very positively about the whole thing.

Today, Saturday 26th April, I got my letter through from NZ immigration stating my visa was approved in principle and that I need to pay the migrant levy and send my passport in to get stamped before my visa would be approved.

So my question is am I legally allowed to work while my payment of the migrant levy goes through? Do I need to stop the recruitment agency looking for work for me?

Since its a Saturday I can't call NZ immigration so I was hoping someone on here might be able to help.

Thanks
    Graham

I've just been offered a freelance job for next week.

Can I take this job while my application is approved in principle or am I still on my visitor visa?

I don't think so. I am sure your visa will be dated the same day it is put in your passport, which is only after the migrant levy has gone through. At some INZ branches you might be able to make an appointment to go in and have it done there and then, which might cut down on time.

Ps, don't post the same thing twice in two different areas. This site isn't that busy that your post will go unnoticed.

RedVee is absolutely right. You can't work legally until the visa is in your passport. This can take as long as 3 weeks in some offices if you send off your passport for this purpose. In others, you can get it done on the spot. Not much longer to wait! (I assume you don't currently have a visa that allows you to work.)