Thread: Character Waiver - traffic offence

Lightbulb Character Waiver - traffic offence

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any experience/could offer any advice about character waivers?

I have a job offer in NZ but I recently was fined for driving while over the limit while in Spain and given an 8 month ban (from driving in Spain).

It was the only time I have ever been in trouble with the authorities anywhere in the World, it was a stupid thing to do (I had just received some devastating news and I wasn't thinking clearly.... I know this isn't an excuse).

I want to apply for a skilled migrants visa, leading to residency but I am seriously worried now that this is going to cause my application to be declined.

Does anybody have any advice they can offer or tell me about their or others experience with character waivers for a similar situation?

Any info would be great(!) Thanks

you just need to declare it. if they think your offence is serious they will send you a letter and ask you to explain. anyway if you need a character waiver, you will still need to meet all other criteria first before they will consider character waiver.

You will almost certainly be required by INZ to ask for a character waiver, if 'recently' means this happened within the last five years. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/35058.htm

Thanks,

It happened 2 months ago. I meet all the other requirements but obviously concerned now that this will have a very negative impact on my application.

Not sure if it would make a difference applying for a non residency visa i.e an essential skills work visa or not? Maybe the drink driving offence would be considered less of a factor if I apply for a more temporary visa?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35052.htm