Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Sausages

Default Decent Sausages for Avalon

Ok, so not solely for Avalon - I have my own interests at heart too - but I can't believe in this land of the BBQ that there are NO decent snags!! I use Hellers on an everyday basis, but fancy some decent ones for the summer season!

So, here's what I've found so far.. I shall be taste testing over time!!

Havoc : http://www.foodlovers.co.nz/market/v...pany.php?id=43

Gourmet Direct : http://www.gourmetdirect.com/home.php? (no sausages but some nice stuff!!)

Blackforest Butchery : http://www.blackforestgourmet.co.nz/ (German wursts anyone?)

Grafton Gourmet : http://www.graftongourmet.co.nz/index.php (bits and bobs)

Has anyone found any other mail order / online purveyors of fine pork? (or beef/lamb/venison...!!) NOT chicken NO cheese and NO precooked!!

They all look awesome!

Yeah, I've been reasonably happy with the saussies they sell at NW. I think they're Hellers, but they're sold in NW packaging. They do Lincolnshire, Cumberland & English Breakfast if I'm not mistaken. Pretty damn good...75/80% pork, no gristley bits, good price (specially if you grab those 2 packs for $5 deals they often do)...noice!

Not been as impressed with Heller's London Pride ( even though they were more expensive..) - they were very fatty & tasted a bit processed for me.

On a related note, the best bacon (by far) that I've tried has been the Beehive stuff from these guys here

Try the eye bacon ( closest I've found to the way we're generally used to) or the streaky bacon ( and if you live in Welly, get it from Moore Wilson's wholesale)

Do you get Moore Wilson's anywhere else in NZ btw? Or are we just spoilt rotten in Wellytown?

Moorf.. What about our friendly, local butcher at Oxford?

We move there in 2 days!!! Will check out the bangers for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dave k
    They all look awesome!

Yeah, I've been reasonably happy with the saussies they sell at NW. I think they're Hellers, but they're sold in NW packaging. They do Lincolnshire, Cumberland & English Breakfast if I'm not mistaken.

Do you get Moore Wilson's anywhere else in NZ btw? Or are we just spoilt rotten in Wellytown?

Those sausages are actually from Premiere Bacon, not hellers. Which by some bizzare coisidence have thier factory about 5 minutes drive from my house. No factory shop though. The cumberland are one of the "kinda Bearables" for me - not that it tastes like a cumberland sausage at all, but ill take what I can get at this point. Hellers beef are also a possible - and actually to my mind nicer than the london pride by miles.

If anyone sees Ostrich Suasages - I think thye are worth a try. They dont seem to add the spices to them, so thye taste more like meat!

MW are in Welly, Masterton (off there today for my weekly shop) and I think Hamilton.

Thanks Moorf.

Ive got Gourmet Directs catalogue so I may try that now I can get deliverys.

Im going to look at the other right after this.

Oxford Butchers - Yes please Joanne (and I shall be popping in there to get more dog bones too - $1 for a carrier bag STUFFED with bones!!)

We don't have a MW here in Chch - but we do have Johnsons on Colombo St, which I gather is similar - it's only a small shop but it's BULGING with goodies!

Perhaps there is a slot in the market for some enterprising Brit sausage-maker to make their mark... hmmm here piggy piggy...

Wouldn't you just kill for Wall's banger!

AHHHHHH! drooling in a homer kind a way!

Quote Originally Posted by DLW
    Wouldn't you just kill for Wall's banger!

AHHHHHH! drooling in a homer kind a way!
    Oh god! Thats not fighting fair!

I wish I had the guts for smuggling!

And on the topic of Skins (from the "other" thread) - apparently its becuase they use "real" skins here. Not sure if thats true. However - Ive found 2 ways round this.
    1/ Fry - dont grill. For some reason the skin ends up a lot less tough.
    2/ Casserole (in buckets of red wine!!!!) - same thing.

DaveK.
    Not sure if its relevant to you - but if you enjoy MW in welly, you may want to check out ONTRAYS in Petone (Down a side street of Jackson). Nice deli (and sells some UK stuff) - they offer you a a free coffee as you look round.

Still no decent Sausages - but good cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    1/ Fry - dont grill. For some reason the skin ends up a lot less tough.
    2/ Casserole (in buckets of red wine!!!!) - same thing.
    Yup, agree with this one, we did the first sausages we tried in the George Forman, could barely get our teeth through the skin, but in the sausage & lentil casserole they are not bad. Only thing I have noticed is, in UK sausages shrunk when you cooked them, over here they almost double in size.... weird.

Personal old favourite was Richmond Irish Recipe Skinless...

Not being a fan of sausages I never really ate them in NZ. I've just found some I really like over here (Porkinsons 80% pork saussies!! Yummy - and Sainsbury's Leek and Pork ones are quite nice too) - and now I'm going back to this!! *sighs* Ah well, back to eating salads only at the BBQ (actually, could be good for the diet!).

Debs

Erhhh!

I know there are lots of 'nasty' things go into bangers, but I didn't realise I was eating real skin! .......excuse me just off to the loo!

Back again.... that's it, sausages... no more! JC, (not sure whether this has been abbreviated yet on the site, don't want to get into trouble with the mod (moderator) but for anyone having difficulty it's the son of our lord))!!!!with all the other rubbish that they put in them they could make an artificial, thinner skin!

You can sort of seperate yourself from what you are eating normally but knowing you are eating,....probably every bit of porky pig apart from maybe its toe nails......(trotter nails....?) makes me feel a little nauceous! (sp?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast