Thread: Stainless range hood & rust?

Default Stainless range hood & rust?

I'm going to have a range hood with extraction fan installed over the stove. The majority are stainless steel - which I would like - but I'm wondering if they can develop rust spots over the years? If you have a stainless range hood, have you had any problems with it? Thanks!

True stainless shouldn't rust.

However, I recently bought a new refrig and noticed that most or maybe all of the ones I looked at with a "stainless" finish weren't true stainless steel at all.

The way you can tell is by holding a magnet up to the steel. If it sticks, it's not real stainless steel, but some other iron/steel alloy (magnets won't stick to aluminium, either, of course).

My five year old granddaughter has resorted to tape to display her artwork on their fridge as the magnets won't stick. I'll take a magnet with me when I shop. Many thanks.

I have a series 300 (chromium & nickel) stainless steel vent hood (Ikea) and it has never rusted or develop tarnish spots. I do keep it very clean as I'm Sheldon neat but I have had SS refrigerators that did. I think as long as you go with a reputable manufacturer you'll be fine.

Just out of curiosity what model are you looking at?

Moisture isn't really the issue with range hoods, more over, it's the oil you have to deal with. With oil, you're not going to see the rusting on range hoods.

Long life range hoods are not common. I've seen high end brands and low end brands and all experience their problems. Cousin's Fisher & Pakyl range hood (budget model) had it's control board go up in smoke (less than 3 years). My aunt recessed fixture range hood had it's motor pack up ($800 replacement cost on motor). Overall, buy on function and ease of cleaning rather than buy on looks.