Thread: Temporary work visa while waiting for residency processing times & where to apply?

Default Temporary work visa while waiting for residency processing times & where to apply?

We are in the process of applying for SMC Residency visa via the London branch. We have had the case officer interview and she said we should have a final answer in 3-4 weeks time. I understand that if I get a job offer that the processing will be expedited but my question is what if my employer needs me to start sooner and my 3 month visitor visa is coming to an end. Can I apply for a temporary work visa to enable me to stay in the country and work while I wait for my residency to be stamped in my passport? If so, can I apply at my nearest NZ branch and how long does it take? I have searched the www.immigration.govt.nz website but could not find the relevant answer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi If you are in NZ on a visitor visa and get an offer of skilled employment before your residence s approved, you should firstly notify your Case officer to see if it is possible that they can issue your visa quickly or, you can apply to the nearest INZ Branch to where you are staying in NZ for a Work Visa while you wait for the residence visa to be finalised. It is really important that if you do this, you provide a cover letter explaining where you are at with your SMC application, the Application and Client number etc. This way, you won't have to re-supply Police Checks, medicals, copies of qualifications etc. Cheers. Karen

Thanks Karen!!! Any idea how long it will take to apply in person in NZ to get the temporary work visa if the Case Officer cant get the Residency visa done in time?

Also if the residency can be done in time, do we have to send the passport from NZ to London to get the residency stamped in or can we go straight to the nearest INZ branch in NZ?

Hi. Work visas submitted in NZ whether in person or by post to a NZ INZ branch will take around 4 weeks to process. Once you get your residence visas approved you can ask your Case Office to transfer the file electronically to the INZ branch nearest to where you are and then either take or send your passports for the visas to be entered. This can take up to 2 weeks by post. Some branches (but not all) do a same day service for people there in person.