Thread: Student or Visitor Visa? Need some clarification

Default Student or Visitor Visa? Need some clarification

My Husband has a job waiting in NZ and our son and me are going with him as my husband applies for a temp work visa. We all are from the US and are citizens. My question is, am I applying for a Student Visa or a Visitor Visa for my 2yr old son?

It makes sense to me to apply for a visitor visa for him but then again we will put him in daycare once we are settled in and I find work as well. I keep reading things that make me second guess which form for him.

Also, I read under the fees category Work Visa: Long Term Skill Shortage List; that The New Zealand Government has bilateral fee-waiver agreements with the USA. US citizens do not have to pay the fee below if the application is made outside New Zealand.

In reading that we are sending all or information to our nearest branch for free? Cause that would be great.

I would appreciate any comments and advice, thanks

A child under five years of age needs a visitor's visa. He won't need a student visa until he turns five, which is the age when most NZ children start to attend actual school (not day care or kindy).

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A child under five years of age needs a visitor's visa. He won't need a student visa until he turns five, which is the age when most NZ children start to attend actual school (not day care or kindy).

Ok Thanks that is what I thought.

Yep - work, student and visitor visas are free for US citizens. You still have to pay a handling fee (I think it's 15 NZD per application but don't quote me on that) but you save a lot via the agreement!