Thread: Job search in Christchurch,NZ

Default Job search in Christchurch,NZ

Hi Everyone !

I'm a Senior Database Administrator with 6 years of experience in IT. I hold a NZ work visa based on partnership. I am planning to move to Christchurch and join my husband once I secure a job.
    I've been searching for jobs matching my profile and have applied for a few in Christchurch since a couple of months now.Have been contacted by couple of consultancies too. Had Skype calls with them to make sure they understand my requirement. However, I've received responses from most the companies that my applications have been unsuccessful and some didn't even respond yet.

I'd like to get suggestion from forum members if there is any specific criteria which has to be considered while applying for jobs from oversea without local experience.
    I usually write my visa status in cover letters while applying . One of my friends suggested that I mention my immigration/visa status(that I hold a valid work visa for NZ) in my resume ---would that help ?

I've seen in the forum before that many members have secured jobs when applied from overseas and then moved to NZ.

Looking forward to get some suggestion if I am missing something while applying for jobs .

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Neelima987; 5th May 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Guys !!

Can someone please suggest me on the job hunt ??

One of my friends suggested that I mention my immigration/visa status(that I hold a valid work visa for NZ) in my resume ---would that help ?
    It might. Personally, I would put it in big letters at the very top.

Unfortunately, there is a tendency for NZ employers not to consider applications from overseas unless they absolutely can't avoid it. See this old post. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952 Because of the difficulties many of them know about from their own experience or from hearsay, their automatic reaction is to think employing a foreigner will be awkward and take a long time.

If you possibly can, I think you are much more likely to get a job by being in the country and personally taking your CV to as many businesses as possible.

I applied for many jobs before I arrived, even once I had my work visa, it made no difference. However I secured a job within a month of arriving, due to being here and able to meet the employer face to face and being available to start work straight away.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Thank you so much JandM and MikeandCaroline for your valuable suggestions.

I have decided to move to NZ and continue my Job search couple of days back ,but was still worried if my decision was right or wrong. Your replies have given me some confidence.

Thanks again