Thread: Residency enquiry

Default Residency enquiry

Hi,

My friend has just done Bachelors in Electronics and Communication from a reputed Indian college. But he has no Job experience so my question is that if he can apply for his residency because his qualification falls into Ltssl.
    Thanks.

If you look at the requirements of the Long term Skills Shortage List or this occupation, you need the right qualification AND 3 years' work experience gained after qualifying to get the bonus points. Your friend's degree may need to be assessed by NZQA. Just because it is from a reputable college does not guarantee that it is on the exempt list. However, any work experience he gets in India will only be counted if he does meet the qualification criteria or has a job offer from NZ in that field. Otherwise, it won't because (reasonably or not) India is not seen as a Comparable Labour Market. He would probably get about 30 points for age if he is under 30 and 50 for his degree if it is recognised or assessed as comparable. So, without the bonus points and work experience he definitely needs a job offer to stand a chance. I have to be honest and say that it will be very hard for him to get such an offer without experience. my suggestion would be that he considers going to NZ to do a Graduate or Diploma or post-Grad qualification.

thanks for your advice.