Thread: After getting residence visa

Default After getting residence visa

Hi, I read something on the immigration website ..

Resident visa conditions

If you were granted a resident visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.

If you gained points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of your first entry into New Zealand. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence of having done so.
    If you gained points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job for a minimum of three months.

I have many good things going on right now for me.. I have a job offer for a company in Auk/thinking of doing a startup..

I have worked for my current company for over 7 months now, does the above apply to me.. meaning . .once i get my residency visa on my passport (passports with INZ with migrant levy) can I submit my resignation the next day if I decided to do so, or do I have to complete another 3 months with the company before I can get on to my next venture? ..

Please advise

I've also had worked for my employer for more than 3 months with a work permit while carrying out the Residency application and submitted a letter from my employer with the date of employment and position , etc with bank statements showing the salary coming in... That was enough to get that requirement off my visa...

Normally, if you submit all the proof of skilled employment, and include what shows that you have been working in the job for three months or more, you will be given your visa without any conditions on it. We have seen cases where the applicant didn't prove length of time up front and got granted their Residence with the Section 49(1) condition, but that was down to lack of their paperwork and could be sorted out.

So you probably could put in your resignation the next day as far as INZ is concerned, but it would also depend on what is in your contract with your employer, and also a bit of caution on your own behalf - don't forget NZ is a small population, and employers with the same kind of business tend to know one another, so it's worth trying to make sure nobody gets left with hard feelings, since the word can go round very fast.