Thread: My case PeterG: from partner work visa to partner residence visa?

Default My case PeterG: from partner work visa to partner residence visa?

Hi guys,

I am a German living in Germany and want to move with my kiwi partner to New Zealand in October 2014 after my graduation (so in 5 months). In March 2013 we signed a contract for a room in a shared flat (Im still a student). She came for 1 week in March to bring a few things and sign the contract as she worked overseas at that time. Then in June 2013 she actually came to Germany and moved in. I suppose the 12 months start from the date of her flight? The flight details and the contract would be the earliest real proofs of starting to live together? (Shortly after, we also have a working contract, bank account opening, council registration)

Atm, I am preparing the application and would send it out at the date of her arrival last year (so exactly at the date we fulfill the 12 months requirement). This is why the 12 months start date is important.

I figured I would apply for the partnership-based temporary work visa rather than the partner residence visa, as 1) it is cheaper (still an issue as a student) 2) I would expect it to go through quicker than the partner residence visa application.
    2) is necesary as I would like to be able to apply for jobs as soon as possible (already in Germany) in order to start earning money in NZ as soon as possible.

I couldnt find much information about the streamline process from the temporary work visa to the residence visa. Is it possible? Is there a time limit I have to wait?
    I would like to apply for this as soon as possible so that my future employers do not have to worry that I have to leave after two years, also I would like to be able to include this information in my applications (i.e. allthough being on a 2yrs work visa I will be able to have residency work rights quickly).
    I dont think it should be a problem, but Im a bit confused by the bona fide requirements of the temporary work visa....

Thank you!

You don't have to be able to prove 12 months' living together for a partner sponsored temporary work visa. If you can show at least two or three months' evidence, INZ normally take that seriously. Any time at all after you have 12 months' proof, you can put in for partner sponsored Residence - you don't have to wait for the temporary work visa to end.

Thank you very much for your swift answer!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You don't have to be able to prove 12 months' living together for a partner sponsored temporary work visa. If you can show at least two or three months' evidence, INZ normally take that seriously.
    But in order to receive a work visa for 2 years I assume having lived together for 12 months is better than less. Otherwise they could be more likely to just give me a 1yr permit? Anytime less than 2yrs work permit would be worse to apply for jobs.
    Also the 2yrs work permit would be necesary in order to be eligible for health care.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Any time at all after you have 12 months' proof, you can put in for partner sponsored Residence - you don't have to wait for the temporary work visa to end.
    Ok, good, so anytime after my arrival in NZ with a valid temporary work visa I could lodge an application for a residence visa. All I would have to do is add proofs of the relationship after the lodgment of the temporary work visa.
    All other documents such as Chest X-Ray, Limited Medical Certificate and Police Certificate I would not have to provide again?
    Last edited by PeterG; 7th May 2014 at 07:17 AM.

But in order to receive a work visa for 2 years I assume having lived together for 12 months is better than less. Otherwise they could be more likely to just give me a 1yr permit? Anytime less than 2yrs work permit would be worse to apply for jobs.
    Also the 2yrs work permit would be necesary in order to be eligible for health care.
    Yes to all of that. I didn't realize the importance to you of having a 2-year visa.

Regulations about medicals. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46161.htm Regulations about police certificates. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41439.htm And yes, almost certainly, the ones you previously submitted would do for the Residence application, too.

Thank you very much! This already helped me a lot

One more thing. Our living arrangement was a bit more complicated than stated before. After 6 months in the shared flat we moved into our own flat that was rented out temporilarly by a couple. This contract ends this month (May), which means we would be still missing 15 days!! for the 12 months requirement (started to live together around 15th June 2013).
    In addition she will go to live with her Mom from the 22nd June on in order to save some money for our endavour and then fly to her Dads birthday in New Zealand and wait for me to come.
    So as we have to move out end of May we will move into a room in a shared flat again (1st June). We would both sign the contract, and live there together but only till she moves out the 22nd. I would stay till 30th September. This is actually a coincident that we managed to get the 12 months requirement just by a few days.

I just dont know if this would seem weird to immigrations. Do we have to state her moving out somewhere? I guess not as I want to lodge the application the 15th June and at this point, we still live together and have already fullfilled the requirement.

I dont see that Im doing anything wrong, our situation is just a bit complicated due to my student status and the fact we only took intermediate rents as we didnt want to buy all the furniture just to leave them behind...
    So what would happen in a possible interview? I would say that she moved out allthough I didnt statet that previously in the application? But where couldve I even stated this? The application is just a collection of proofs...

There isn't a requirement that you show a formal shared rental agreement for where you live together. I think you're over-thinking this. People can state that you lived together in their space. Others on the forum have fulfilled the 'living together' requirement while travelling, showing shared travel plans, hotel bookings, etc.. If you can show WHATEVER form of evidence (tickets, testimony from people who know you, photos at certain places), it's okay.

Ok, that sounds very good!! I might be a bit cautious as these things would be necesary for a partner-ship based visa application in Australia...
    I will start to set up my application then and come back here in case I have further questions. Next week I will have my examination for the Limited Medical Certificate.
    This is the right form for my kind of visa isnt it?
    Last edited by PeterG; 14th May 2014 at 01:41 AM.