Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: renouncing citizenship - New Zealand

Exclamation renouncing citizenship - New Zealand

I've always wondered i was born in Wellington so i got citizenship by birth what would happen if i renounced it could i get it back? since i got it by birth?

and if i couldn't get it back by birth could i get it back through decent?

Was curious, and i couldn't exactly, find a answer.

You already asked and had this question answered on another forum... The answer hasn't changed.

Why would you want to renounce your NZ citizenship when it graciously gives you the rights of a NZ citizen whether you want it or not?

So they can take citizenship in another country that does not allow you to hold dual.

You really don't lose NZ citizenship. If you live in another country that only recognizes 1, then it's simply a matter of not holding a 'currently valid' NZ passport (you don't apply for the NZ passport).

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    You really don't lose NZ citizenship. If you live in another country that only recognizes 1, then it's simply a matter of not holding a 'currently valid' NZ passport (you don't apply for the NZ passport).
    No, actually, it's not. Many countries make you renounce your citizenship to take theirs, and yes, you REALLY do lose it.

But your question asks

I've always wondered i was born in Wellington so i got citizenship by birth what would happen if i renounced it could i get it back? since i got it by birth?
    In the eyes of NZ, you do not lose your citizenship. But the eyes of the other country that asks you to renounce your citizenship, they view the process of renouncing by means of surrendering your non-expired passport issued from another country. They can't change the fact that you were born overseas and that country would offer a passport to you at any time.

No, this isn't right. See here. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM443886.html There IS a process for renouncing NZ citizenship, and if that is done, the person cannot get it back without a quite rigorous procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    You already asked and had this question answered on another forum... The answer hasn't changed.
    Just out of curiousity, if all the forums are monitored by the moderators of each forum does it make any difference which one people join? surely it's quite normal for someone to ask the same question on more than one forum?

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Just out of curiousity, if all the forums are monitored by the moderators of each forum does it make any difference which one people join? surely it's quite normal for someone to ask the same question on more than one forum?
    I only moderate this one cos it's the best one

P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast