Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study in NZ with the intention of a Skilled Migrant application

Default Study in NZ with the intention of a Skilled Migrant application

Hi Guys,

First post. Be gentle please. I have 3 months of a 23 month Working Holiday Visa left. I really want to remain in NZ as my Sister, Brother in Law and their kids all live here (all residents from moving under the Skilled Migrant category) and they mean the world to me. I have spoken to an immigration advisor, and the information and suggestion they gave me was helpful, and might allow me to remain in New Zealand if I moved to Christchurch and gambled on securing a joinery job based on my limited experience, but that option at present is rather too daunting for me unless as a last resort...

I've been thinking about the problem myself, and wondered if I studying for a qualification in NZ would help. I have looked at the List of Occupations (Appendix 6 in the immigration ops manual) and found some courses that would qualify me in jobs mentioned in section B that meet the conditions that INZ state http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...employment.htm here. If I were to complete such a course, and managed to secure a job offer after would this then be an acceptable way for me to also apply under the Skilled Migrant category, or is this something that INZ frown upon? I am looking to apply for something wood based, ideally joinery. I don't have any current qualifications in joinery, but I do have an interest in that subject and have past (voluntary) work experience in that field.

Looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

Mike

You first step would need to be to make sure whatever course you wanted to follow would qualify you for a student visa, AS WELL AS for the SMC programme once you finish. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...hatisrequired/ There are also firm financial requirements, as you'll see there.

Thanks for a quick reply. The courses I'd considered are listed as requirements on the Canterbury skills shortage list, but when I actually tried to find anywhere doing such a course I was unable to do so. Back to the drawing board I think. Out of interest though, if I were to find another job on the List of Occupations and a relevant course, how do I know if is suitable for the SMC programme? Thanks for the mention on the financial requirements. I should be able to meet those, but do have other relatives that would sponso me if necessary.

if I were to find another job on the List of Occupations and a relevant course, how do I know if is suitable for the SMC programme?
    I think you'd need to look at the requirements for the job, as given on the ANZSCO list and/or the Essential Skills in Demand list http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ls.htm?level=1, and make sure you'd meet them when once you finish your course (i.e. there isn't a requirement for - say - three years' experience as well as the qualification).

Most universities and colleges who take international students have an officer who is well up with the regulations - it's worthwhile getting in touch with that person at an early stage and picking their brains.

Thanks for the advice. I've had a look, and as joinery is in Part B of the list of skilled jobs I would also have to gain more experience before applying under the SMC method. I have been advised it would be possible to gain the experience by applying for a job under the Canterbury Skills shortage system. Confusingly, I've also been advised that I would be better off getting (or trying to if possible of course) a relevant job in Christchurch using my limited experience and working there for a period BEFORE I applied to study. What are your thoughts on this please. I have found a course that sounds to me like it would be leading me in the right direction, and that accepts international students. http://www.ucol.ac.nz/Programmes/Con...on/54/overview I have also looked at this course as perhaps a better alternative, but to a slightly lower qualification standard. http://www.ucol.ac.nz/Programmes/Con...n/190/overview Will do some investigation into which would be a better course for me, but put them in to give you a better picture of where I'm at.
    Last edited by cervosa; 9th May 2014 at 12:09 PM.

I don't have any experience in this line of work, so I'm not the person to give an opinion here as to what will most impress future possible employers. I think you should start a new thread with a title such as 'Joinery experts - your help, please' to attract attention from people who know what they're talking about. Good luck!

Thank you. One quick question if you don't mind please, along these lines. My visa expires in Aug this year. A few of the courses I've looked at start next year in Feb/March 2015. Do you know if I would have to return to England (or another country that isn't NZ) in Aug and then return in time for my Course in 2015, or would I be allowed to stay in NZ for the duration on an interim visa or the study visa?

I don't know. Make one more post to get your PMing switched on, then message Karen Phillips - she knows a lot more about these things.

Thank you again. Shall use my 5th post to ask another question if I may please.

In your experience what do you think would be a better option. Do you feel I'd be better off studying a 1 year carpentry/joinery course now (starting July), then moving to Christchurch for a period to gain some experience before finding a job nearer to my family and applying under SMC, or would I be better off starting a slightly more comprehensive course in March (even if I have to return to England for a period) that should, as far as I can tell, enable me to find a job and apply straight away under the SMC?

Alternatively, going by some advice I've received that I'm not sure on the accuracy of, could I move to Christchurch now on the chance I could get a job with my limited experience and use that to apply under the SMC when I have more experience? If I tried this and was not successful and left NZ, would it still be acceptable for me to apply to study in NZ at a later date (ie March 2015 or later still), or would this be unacceptable for immigration? Basically, I'm trying to work out if a gamble of going to Christchurch now has too much risk of not being able to live in NZ long term should it not succeed.

Will PM Karen soon as suggested, but further to my last question, I just found an appendix regarding the points given on an EOI for courses. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42637.htm Can you clarify something for me please to make sure I have understood the wording correctly. If I were to apply and graduate from either of the UCOL courses I listed above in post 5 I would be ineligible for points? However if I were to study this course http://www.weltec.ac.nz/SUBJECTAREAS...3/Default.aspx I would be awarded points?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast