Thread: How to convince the CO that "no intention to mislead" under partnership category?

Default How to convince the CO that "no intention to mislead" under partnership category?

I'm going to support my partner to apply for a residence visa under partnership category. We had filed an application before and it was declined by INZ since I didn't declare him as a partner in my own residence application under SMC. For the coming application, I know I shall also prepare for overcoming this obstacle, but not sure how to do it.

It is stated in the letter from INZ for our previous application that INZ is satisfied that our relationship is genuine and stable, but they are not convinced by our explanation of not disclosing my partner in my own residence application. When I filed my application in July 2006, we had just been in NZ for a month with a GF/BF relationship. In my home country, China, only legal marriage could be recognized as a formal personal relationship by the government, and there is no such "partnership" relationship being accepted. Since I'm new to NZ at that moment, I signed an agent to file my application. The agent only asked if I had a husband, and I said "no". I'm totally unaware at that moment that I could include my partner in the application.

I'm not sure how to organize these reasons into a convictive explanation. Your comments are very welcomed, and thank you in advance.

tell them exactly what you have just said here

You may want to tell the officer that at that time when you first filed your application, you and your BF at that time was not financially or emotionally dependent on each other. It would be good if you can prove both of you were not living together by showing correspondences dated at that time with different addresses or get someone (parents from both sides) to testify that both of you were living in different addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by ntuananh View Post
    tell them exactly what you have just said here
    Thank you for the reply. This is also what I'm going to do, but not 100% sure the CO will consider it as "no intention to mislead".

Quote Originally Posted by larrykiwi View Post
    You may want to tell the officer that at that time when you first filed your application, you and your BF at that time was not financially or emotionally dependent on each other. It would be good if you can prove both of you were not living together by showing correspondences dated at that time with different addresses or get someone (parents from both sides) to testify that both of you were living in different addresses.
    Thank you. However, this is not the exact situation of my case. We did live together after we arrived in NZ. We didn't aware the concept of partnership in NZ since I hired an agent, who didn't mention this issue to us, to file the application for me. In addition, we also didn't fully understand the partnership concept in NZ at that moment since we just arrived here from a country which having a totally different cultural and social backgrounds. We unintentionally made this mistake when I filed my application, but I don't know how INZ interprets "no intention to mislead"?

Are there any similar cases? I did some researches but couldn't find much relevant information.

Your agent did a bad job. So you just need to tell the officer in your cover letter when you next submit your application. Tell them, there was nothing for you to gain for not telling them you were in partnership at that time, it was lost in translation and poor advice from the agent.

Quote Originally Posted by larrykiwi View Post
    Your agent did a bad job. So you just need to tell the officer in your cover letter when you next submit your application. Tell them, there was nothing for you to gain for not telling them you were in partnership at that time, it was lost in translation and poor advice from the agent.
    Thank you so much, Larrykiwi. I will present the truth to INZ and wish they could accept it.