Thread: Help with questions from CO

Default Help with questions from CO

Hi,

I'd appreciate some thoughts from you guys. I got an Essential Skills Visa application pending here in NZ and just got assigned a CO that followed up requesting some more information. It makes me worried about the success chance of my application and was wondering if people here has an experience with the reason they ask some of these questions, and how bad it's likely to be.

- My Swedish bachelor degree isn't being considered because it's not on the IMZ exempt from assessment list. The peculiar thing is, the very same degree was used in another Essential Skills Visa with identical requirements (as per the ANZCO code description) a few years ago and was considered in that application. And I've checked the different versions and update dates of the exempt from assessment list, and when the previous visa was granted the same degree should not have been counted then either. Now, does this mean IMZ simply did a mistake a few years ago and I shouldn't have gotten that visa? The degree is from a reputable university that NZQA recognises, but this particular degree isn't on the exempt from assessment list (as of February 2011).

It's an odd situation that one...

- There is also a questionnaire for the employer offering me a job, about their efforts in finding a kiwi to take the roll. The employer advertised the position first on TradeMe with no success, and then later advertised it on a number of other, less known, online job sites as well as in local newspapers and their websites. In the successful application from a few years ago, when the employer (a different one) went through similar efforts no such questionnaire was asked for. Should I be worried here?

I guess the main thing I'm asking is, should I be worried? Do application often get turned down after these questions? I mean, if my degree isn't counted I am only just about fulfilling the ANZCO code requirement of having 5 years relevant work experience.

Any advise would be appreciated! And I apologise if these questions have been answered before, I tried searching the forum best I could but couldn't find any answers to these questions anywhere.

Cheers

Now, does this mean INZ simply did a mistake a few years ago and I shouldn't have gotten that visa?
    Possibly. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but IT DOESN'T MATTER. Don't stress about what was THEN, because you need to concentrate on NOW.

There is nothing held to be wrong with a qualification that isn't on the exempt list - it just hasn't been checked over by NZQA and the results recorded. So your degree can still count if you need it to for this application, if you get it assessed. If need be, the CO will almost certainly allow extra time for that.

About the questionnaire - this may be some piece of paperwork to streamline things that has come in since the last application, and for all you know, your previous boss could have been asked similar questions over the phone by the CO back at that time.

Hi JandM,

Thanks for the quick reply, and the tip to have the degree checked b NZQA. I'll get in touch with them to see what information they require right away. I'd be very surprised if they don't approve the degree, especially considering one semester of the degree was studied in Auckland (exchange program). And during that exchange semester the requirements for the degree in Sweden was higher than the kiwi equivalent, meaning we had to study more credits than the local kiwi students to get it approved back in Sweden.

Anyhow, thanks again.