Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I appoint an immigration consultant?

Cool Should I appoint an immigration consultant?

Hi all,

I am a newbie here. I would like to migrate to new zealand. I have been researching on this issue and would love to hear from everyone. I am not so fortunate like some of you here who already have a work visa. So I have to travel to NZ, find a job and get a work visa before I can apply for resident visa.

I came across many immigration consultants on the website and wonder whether it is worth using their services. What are the pros and cons of using them? Do you guys know much are their fees?

Thanks everyone for helping me out on this

Cheers,

The fees are often $$$$$$ (though there are honourable exceptions). Most people with a straightforward case can put it together by using the INZ website, and can ask questions from others who have gone before them here on the forum if there are things they don't understand. Advisers can be helpful if you have complications.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The fees are often $$$$$$ (though there are honourable exceptions). Most people with a straightforward case can put it together by using the INZ website, and can ask questions from others who have gone before them here on the forum if there are things they don't understand. Advisers can be helpful if you have complications.
    Hi JandM,

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate "straightforward cases"? For example, I have a degree in accountancy and I checked that it is recognised by NZ. All I really need is a job and I should be able to qualify ( I think so!) but I also understand that the immigration adviser will help with a work visa too (which I have come to understand that alot of employers are not familiar with it and therefore may avoid hiring migrants as a result? I really trying to find out if these consultants can help to increase the chances of visa even in a straightforward case.

Thanks for answering my questions.

No agents have any 'pull' with INZ, if that's what you're asking.

Save your money for other things on preparation and when you come to NZ. Don't go through an immigration consultant in Singapore, they're too expensive and unnecessary. If you spend enough time on the INZ website and forms (read very clearly each line), and here at the forum, you'll be fine.

Breeze and Jandm, thanks for the advice. The immigration consultant that I spoke to is from NZ. Before I found this website, I spoke to a few and actually got a quote from one of them and I agree with you, breeze, the fee is astonishing! Since then, I hv been debating within myself whether it is worth it to part with such a huge amount.........

Jandm, I wasn't referring to the "pull" advantage of the consultant. It was more of whether having a consultant will help in the job search process. Besides taking care of my visa matters, the consultant will also help me with settlement matters as well as provide advice during my job search process such as understanding the unique characteristics of the NZ labour market, helping me with answering questions on visa matters for employers who are not familiar with work visa etc etc. I thought having someone with local knowledge (although not in the recruitment industry) will make it easier for me to find a job faster and easier.......

A licensed immigration adviser will have passed examinations in the application of the INZ rules, so should be able to tell any client about their chances of being awarded a visa, and what they need to supply in order to apply. They don't normally double up as the kind of job-search mentor you have been imagining.

Hi JandM, I am not imagining things...this was stated in a black and white quote to me.

Like JandM said, Immigration Advisors are qualified to help you navigate the process to apply for a visa. They may offer other information but I suspect the advice you would gain from this forum would be more valuable and helpful in finding employment in NZ, so I would certainly not pay money for this part of an advisers services.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsyjnr View Post
    Hi JandM, I am not imagining things...this was stated in a black and white quote to me.
    Stated by the agent who would like you to pay them, I expect. I can understand the temptation of having someone provide such a wide-ranging service, but have never seen anyone on these threads, going back years, telling that they've received anything like it. I strongly suggest asking the agent to put you in touch with previous clients so you could ask how they have got on, before you part with any money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast