Thread: Help to Importing goods as a sole trader

Question Help to Importing goods as a sole trader

Hi,
    One question is in my mind which i have to ask here please can anybody suggest,
    if a person is doing trade business in new Zealand and he needs to import goods from overseas then can he still able to apply for GST returns for customs duty/fees.
    If yes then what he needs to declare at the time of border security if he is on the airport with his luggage full of goods importing from overseas.What types of fees he needs to pay and can he claim back those custom fees at the time of GST returns?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by immihelp View Post
    Hi,
    One question is in my mind which i have to ask here please can anybody suggest,
    if a person is doing trade business in new Zealand and he needs to import goods from overseas then can he still able to apply for GST returns for customs duty/fees.
    If yes then what he needs to declare at the time of border security if he is on the airport with his luggage full of goods importing from overseas.What types of fees he needs to pay and can he claim back those custom fees at the time of GST returns?thanks
    First of all you need to be GST registered. You will also need an importers code - you can get this directly from NZ Customs. In order to get an import code you *must* be resident in NZ. The person or company name for the importers code *must match* the name on the invoice for the imported goods.

You might be able to get an 'importers code' when you arrive at the airport. I don't know about this - we have always handled items coming in via mail.

If he is GST registered then yes, he will be able to claim the duty part of the fee's back. The amount of duty (GST) to pay can be found here - http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/. The GST can be claimed under a GST expense category called "GST on imports".

There is still an import fee of about $50 I think which is non-refundable.

Thanks for reply,

but if i have no company name for GST claims,i mean to say that can i bring that goods as a sole trader or a company name is mandatory for that.

secondly do i still need importers code if i bring that goods here as a sole trader.Thanks

Bringing them in as a sole trader is fine - as long as your registered for GST before the import then you can claim the GST back.

You would absolutely need an importers code. However - I'm not sure if they can issue you one on the spot at the airport or not.

Reading this link http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx seems to suggest to have it organised before hand.

Give customs a call - they are normally pretty friendly and will help you if they can. Finding an import agent to help 'pre-clear' the goods could be helpful as it states on the link.. but you can ask customs about that too.

Question

Thanks for reply,

I called to customs office but they suggested to contact any customs broker,I asked a series of questions to them but the consequence of every reply of them was customs broker.I am little bit confused now.

We need A client code if the goods are over the value of NZ$1,000,but its very complex procedure to get a code and another stuff.