Thread: We're Wellington Bound (and need advice)!

Default We're Wellington Bound (and need advice)!

We we're fortunate to take a trip to the UK and swung by London last week to pick up our residence visas in person at NZIS. I should be taking off in a few weeks to set up home base in Wellington. Once our house is sold (for sure), Carl will quit his job and follow me.

Any suggestions on the following:
    1. A good place to stay for the first week or two while I look for a rental?
    2. A good way to find a rental?
    3. Advice on rental car companies to rent a car for a few weeks or a month (I don't want to deal with that decision right up front).
    4. Does Wellington have any companies that do package communication deals (i.e. landline phone, fax, e-mail, DSL/broadband packages)?
    5. Advice on coping with the first few weeks?

Thanks!

Liz

Sounds excellent!
    I found this place:
    http://www.206aro.co.nz/
    while I was surfing not long ago. It's a self contained place so you could do your own cooking and not have to eat out all the time. It's in the Aro Valley, which is very very close to the CBD, but still seems to have some character and not too crowded. Might not be your thing, but it's an idea.

http://www.virtualrealty.co.nz/tolet/wgnwaira.html is a place for Wellington rentals

http://www.vuw.ac.nz/st_services/acc...ommFinder.aspx
    this is from Victoria U, so has things in that area

You probably are already familiar with
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/rentals/

Very exciting!!!! Congrats!!!
    Last edited by tigerlily; 11th October 2005 at 10:59 AM.

Wishing you luck. We'd love to be down in Welly by the end of next year, and I've been enjoying browsing though housing sites.

another site I've been looking over to get a sense of areas:
    http://www.nzflatmates.co.nz
    you can search for places with and without roommates. From what little I know at this point it seems that rental agreements in NZ have more flexibility (compared to the 12 month leases I've always had to sign in the states). Something like the tenant can give 3 weeks notice and the landlord must give 6 weeks notice - someone, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

as for your first few weeks, I spent a week scouting Welly and I would definetely take a few days to just go for long walks and explore (with a map so you can figure out how to take a bus if you get too adventuresome). I really enjoyed exploring the Kauri wildlife reserve - met a few people too en route, like this taxi driver who pulled over just to tell me about this poet he had just dropped off - how lovely she was, how its no wonder her poetry is so bueatiful given where she lived (I doubt she really wanted him telling people where she lived, but I enjoyed the conversation), etc. The other neat thing about seeing neighborhoods on foot is Wellington had lots of pedestrian access shortcuts between the road switchbacks.

Hi Liz,

To find a rental, try all the above websites and get Wednesdays Dominion Post, also try the rental agencies - look up in the yellow pages when you get here or do a google search.

We used rent-a-wreck for our first few weeks, I know at least one other forum member who has also used them. Be warned though that parking in the city can be tough unless you are staying somewhere that provides an overnight parking space for you.

WRT your landline fax broadband etc, i think that Telecom do a package on them all as does Telstra. However you would need to check that - I would have thought a look on both their websites and perhaps an email shot off to them would get that info.

First few weeks, yes, just explore everything. By foot, by bus by car, be a tourist. PM me if you want any help, might not be able to but I'll try!

Sarah.

Hi Liz

I can give you a weeks worth of advice as thats how long we've been in Welly.

We got an 'almost rent a wreck' to meet us at the airport. I's a 4 door saloon, goes fine really. We needed something cheap for 6-8 weeks until our car arrives but didn't fancy buying another for our first few weeks. To be honest, him meeting us at the airport was a godsend. I dealt with Dave at this site and they were helpful. Ours is $33 daily long term www.carrentalnewzealand.com
    We tried the Dom post on weds, trademe before we came and looked for rental boards when we arrived. I can give you some agents details if you like (pm me if interested) We just paid cash up front for our rental and signed a few bits there and then, no refs required. In the UK this took weeks and needed 2 refs.

2nd part of message as it didn't like my tags...

For the 1st few days, Carol recommended the bucket tree motel 10 mins from Welly, they have self contained units too.
    1 Boscobel Lane Tawa Wellington( I can't include the link it doesn't like it) google it.

It looks good and we would have gone there, had we not got this rental intime. I would suggest staying out of the city CBD. I found it very noisy at night particularly Fri & Sat and expensive to park ( although not as expensive as parking in Croydon ) There are some free bays overnight but means getting up and out for 8o'clock.

In answer to question 5 ( and this is just my opinion) Bring layers of clothing inc a waterproof top thing. The weather changes quickly (not a gripe, I quite like it this way) but can get cold, windy and very wet. Bring or have good access to cash, you will get through money easily enough. Bring at least 2 forms of photo id too, although I carried round births certs, utility bills and bank statements, no one wants them. Passport and driving licences are good.

I'm going to sound like Diny now but the properties we have seen are cold and some damp if they don't have heating or if they have been empty. Have thick socks and something to sleep in if you don't normally wear pj's. And I wished I packed a blanket or fleecey throw thing (and I don't normally feel the cold).

Get a Kiwi call card or similar, my lifeline..... call home or anywhere for cents (not $$ via telecom). We got a NZ mobile quickly too as people don't want to call you if you have a UK mobile no and this is good when you are out and about property hunting. It was easy to get a mobile.

This is odd, but I'm finding shopping exhausting, all the different products and stores. Been to Pak & save, Woolies, New World and Moore Wilson for foody thingys and Radfords, Early Settler, Harveys someones and some nice little stores, the Cotton store and Bath and beyond. Have found everyone helpful but need to find someone who knows what a shower rail is.

We have been here a week, I'm loving it and sometimes terrifed at the same time, just finding my feet but have no regrets at all. Coping with homesickness is the toughest thing and that floors me but I have found that keeping in contact helps, as long as I don't call home when I'm crying. I hope to meet up with some forumites soon too.

If you need any help or collecting from the airport, just let me know.

Deborah

Great advice everyone - I appreciate every word of it. I'll keep you posted as we progress.

This is what I'd do: book in at Base http://www.basebackpackers.com/wellington.htm backpackers & get a private double room for two or three nights ( about $80 per night if memory serves). The rooms they have are excellent quality ( banish any thoughts of crowded dorms & traveller's feet - these are gorgeous & as central as you could wish for)...as good as any 3 star hotel...and then look in Wednesday's & Saturday's Dom Post, on the trade-me & Finda rental websites for a place to stay.
    If you're looking to live in central Welly ( ie. the immediate burbs) you'll be well-advised to head for somewhere that gets afternoon sun. Very important ( you'll see why when Winter hits town)
    Try the Eastern suburbs for proximity to town tempered by more affordablity & peace & quiet ( Hataitai, Roseneath, Miramar, Kilburnie). Mount Victoria, Newtown and parts of Mount Cook are nice too ( and closer to town), but can be more expensive & noisier.

Any other advice, just PM.