Thread: Work Experience Points Query

Default Work Experience Points Query

Hi
    I would like your advices regarding my case before applying SMC.

I am holding bachelor in Civil Engineering and Master in Engineering Project Management. I am going to apply IQA that I am expecting result shall be equivalent to Master Degree in Civil Engineering in NZ.

But the problem is about work experience that I would count for my EOI points!

I worked for 1 year as Quantity Surveyor in Expressway Construction Project for a Multinational Company that its ‘headquarter is in the comparable market.

Then I am for working as Design Civil Engineer for another local reputable Civil Engineering Consultancy – which it is not in comparable market.

I shall claim 2 years experience which brings me 10 points and also 10 point bonus for experience in Long-term shortage skill.

My questions is
    - As my first year experience is Quantity Surveyor, can I claim it for working experience under Civil Engineering Qualification? ( Quantity Surveyor is very near area to Civil Engineering - from my knowledge and also in the Long-term shortage skill but requires 3 years of experience in order to be comparable)
    - For my Second Year experience, the experience is Civil Engineering but not in comparable market, am I able to claim it? ( I read through posts of this forum, manual from immigration indicates it is entitled but need someone with real experience and knowledge confirm).

Hate to say this but if I would not risk large of my family saving for SMC if I am not sure about my EOI points. Any answers are highly appreciated. Thank this forum for being wonderful place for people are on the way to “NZ Dream”

If you dont have a skilled employment or job offer, you experience must have been gained in a comparable labour market in order to claim points.
    And I dont think INZ cares about where the company's headquarter is, so your experience must be gained in a country that comparable to NZ in order to claim points.

so for a summary, you cannot claim any points with your work experience as you described above.

Reference:
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...bourmarket.htm

Where the company is based can make a difference.
    Work experience undertaken in a country not listed at (a) above will be assessed as being in a comparable labour market only if it was undertaken for a multinational commercial entity (including a wholly or majority owned subsidiary of such an entity that bears the same core name as the parent company) domiciled in one of the countries listed in (a) above.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30570.htm

brianlee, I see why you're doubtful about why each of your years of employment would count. Here's hoping someone in your line of work will be along with some ideas soon.

Thanks, JandM. Like you said, someone who are in my area might come up some advices for my tricky situation.