Thread: Accountants- Skilled Migrant Category Question

Default Accountants- Skilled Migrant Category Question

Hello everyone and any accountants/finance managers,

I am applying residency using the Skilled Migrant Category approach.

I had a look at ANZSCO website which outlines the General Accountant 221111 job description.

It states that Registration or licensing is required'

Does this mean that I need to be a full CA member or Accounting Technician program to be a General Accountant?

Can I still qualify as a General Accountant with my current Chartered Accountant provisional membership?

Do I need a certificate from NZICA to prove this?

Thank you

Ronaldo

Hi Malomay

Your case officer will look to see if your qualifications AND experience match up to the occupation description (and your job offer if you have one), as well as the membership.

General accountants are not on the Long term skills shortage list, but are on the immediate skills shortage list - this is what is says you need under that category:

CHARTERED – SENIOR POSITIONS ONLY
    Required standard
    Membership or provisional membership as either a Chartered Accountant or an Associate Chartered Accountant with the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants
    AND
    a minimum of three years’ relevant post-qualification work experience

So it looks like provisional membership of NZICA would be OK, and your membership card/receipt for payment should be good enough.

NZICA also do assessment of overseas qualifications in the same way that NZQA do. In most cases, you will need to do some extra study or do a test of competency, or both - to be able to practise at a senior level, or for yourself, in New Zealand,

You don't say anything about your previous qualifications or experience - they will have as much bearing on whether the case officer thinks you meet the general accountant description - getting provisional membership is usually quite easy. I;ve just had a quick look at jobs on Seek, and whilst a few say qualifications aren't needed, most of them are asking for CA people unless the role is more junior (i.e. assistant accountants/accounting technicians or accounts payable). So if you don't already have a job offer you would need to convince your case officer that you will be able to get work at that level.

I see your location is already NZ, so if you are working in a General Accounting role here already then you probably have a strong case, and your provisional NZICA membership should be fine.

Good luck

Hi RedVee

Thank you very much for your kind explanation!

Very well presented

Have an awesome evening!