Thread: Safe vehicles and registration costs

Default Safe vehicles and registration costs

As the owner of 2 light diesel powered vehicles, I feel we are hammered by outrageous registration and Road User Charges(RUC). We are told that as diesel vehicles are in more accidents than non diesel powered vehicles they have higher charges. This is misuse of statistics. Most diesels are commercial vehicles and as such travel a great deal more than non diesel powered vehicles. They are not unsafe. My wife drives a TDI VW Golf. It travels around 9 - 10,000 kms per year. Is it less safe than a GTI Golf? No. Is it more likely to crash than a GTI? No. Registration costs about 50% more. Why? Filling Govt coffers. Anyone else find the same?

There was a time when driving a diesel powered vehicle was quite a bit cheaper than a petrol driven, but since the road user charges were introduced it's a different story. Of course we are paying for all the heavy trucks that use and abuse the roads.

I hear your pain...I always wanted to have a VW TDis, but ever since that RUC takes place and various other stuffs owning a diesel is not cheaper. This rule is just plain DUMB.

Quote Originally Posted by quarryman View Post
    This is misuse of statistics.
    I disagree! This is the prime use of statistics - to prove whatever you like to your advantage.

Sell them and buy unleaded cars then. Case closed.