Thread: Arriving on a tourist visa but where to begin?

Lightbulb Arriving on a tourist visa but where to begin?

Hi,
    I'm 32 and would like to go in october/november to NZ on a 3-month tourist visa. In Holland i did a bachelor in marketing/communications.
    But where do I start in NZ?
    Any tips from people how to get a workvisa?

Cheers

I would suggest you will need a job offer, it won't be easy.

Yes, in order to get a work visa, you will have to have a job offer from a NZ employer. See the regulations here for the different kinds of visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/

Thank you, but I was more curious about how to get a joboffer. Any people, have experience arriving on a tourist visa?

Quote Originally Posted by jdeheij View Post
    Thank you, but I was more curious about how to get a joboffer. Any people, have experience arriving on a tourist visa?
    The first question every interviewer or recruiter will ask is "what's your visa status?"... When you say visitor you will find it will end there and then. They will tell you to come back when you have a valid work visa.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    The first question every interviewer or recruiter will ask is "what's your visa status?"... When you say visitor you will find it will end there and then. They will tell you to come back when you have a valid work visa.
    So basicly i'm screwed

When I do an interview here in Holland they say, you have to come to NZ to get a workvisa.
    And if you get to NZ, they say, go home because you can't get a workvisa

Quote Originally Posted by jdeheij View Post
    So basicly i'm screwed

When I do an interview here in Holland they say, you have to come to NZ to get a workvisa.
    And if you get to NZ, they say, go home because you can't get a workvisa
    Yes, it's a catch-22.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of members of this forum who have nevertheless gone to NZ on a visitor visa, got a job offer, and then got their work visa. It is not easy - nobody is pretending otherwise. But you can do some preparation work, finding the names of companies and agents who advertise work in your line of skill. You can approach the ones who look a good fit and tell them you will be in the country and would like to meet them in person between this date and that date. You can, once in NZ, cold call on companies and give them your CV, trying on each visit to meet someone with status within the company, not just the receptionist.

This old thread gives comment. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....952#post359952

What is certain is that, if you really want to go to work in NZ, a recce trip is probably your best chance of getting a visa. Taking no for an answer, when actually, some people DO get a 'yes', will mean that you stay where you are.

Thank you "Jandm"!! That gives me some hope, and is not a total lost cause