Thread: Private Medical Insurance

Default Private Medical Insurance

Hi Everyone

The info on this site is amazing. Thank you

I am still a bit confused though. Hubby will be on a student visa and I will be on an open work visa. We do both qualify for residency as lecturers and will change as soon as we can once in NZ as we will need to prove that we are looking for jobs before residency can be given. Seeing as we both are busy finishing our PhD's, we will only start looking for a work a year into our move to NZ. So, because hubby will be on a student visa and therefore not qualify for health services, we want to apply for private medical insurance. Does it work in the same way as medical aids in RSA as in we go to a GP and insurance pays? Can someone not eligible for government health services apply for private insurance? Is the insurance a top-up only like GAP cover in RSA or can anybody in NZ regardless of emigration status apply for insurance? Sorry for all the questions. We just dont want to rely on travel insurance only and are prepared to pay for private insurance if we are allowed to hold it and whether it will give us similar health cover as if we were eligible for government health services. This is what is going to make our final decision to come over or stay.

At the moment we are happy in RSA but long-term goal is to emigrate as family is all in NZ. Hubby will stop RSA PhD and continue with NZ PhD as it may make getting a job easier with a NZ qualification. Also, from 2011 RSA qualifications need to be assessed and that worries us. But we have medical aid in RSA and want peace of mind in NZ whilst studying that we have more than just travel insurance as we are not in our 20's anymore.

God bless

ok, just to add - heard that as a student, no access to private health insurance and only student travel insurance. As the wife of a student on an open work permit, will I qualify for state health. We have held off having a family to get our PhD's done but I am in my late 30's and we need to start a family soon. So much to consider arghhhhh. Is an open work permit by virtue of hubby being on student visa the same as a normal work permit. boo hooo

Universities will have an insurance company they recommend, and as an International Student you will need to take private insurance. We were offered Southern Cross at the time (in 2005, so might have changed) through Otago, and for a very good prize. As far as I remember it didn't cover GP visits, but I am sure you can upgrade for higher rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    ok, just to add - heard that as a student, no access to private health insurance and only student travel insurance. As the wife of a student on an open work permit, will I qualify for state health. We have held off having a family to get our PhD's done but I am in my late 30's and we need to start a family soon. So much to consider arghhhhh. Is an open work permit by virtue of hubby being on student visa the same as a normal work permit. boo hooo
    See reply on your other thread.

I think you said you'll be studying at the University of Otago. Their website has a very informative section on insurance.