Thread: Open work visa - what is this?

Default Open work visa - what is this?

Hi all

I am pestering everyone with questions - sorry

Is an open work visa (given because hubby is a postgrad student) similar to a normal work visa? If it is longer than 24 months (cause hubby will study for 3 years) will I qualify for health benefits? I plan on changing to residency once in NZ but for now we can only go the student (hubby) and open work visa (wife) route for now. I tried looking online to see if it is classified in the same way as all other work visas but can't see anything unless I am doff

The open work visa allows you to work for any employer in any occupation or even be self-employed. If your hubby is paying the whole tuition fee for 3 years and showing evidence of sufficient maintenance funds for 3 years then he may get a three year visa. If he does, you will also get a three year visa. However, it is more likely he will pay for one year at a time and then he will only get a one year visa - and so will you. (Some universities will only enrol you for one year at a time because they want to see if you pass year 1 before enrolling you for year 2 etc). International students are required to take out medical insurance for the period they are in NZ. If you have a visa for more than 2 years you would be covered for medical costs, but, without really knowing your circumstances, a one year visa is more likely. Fire away with more info and I can probably help you better. Cheers. Karen

Hi Karen,

Thank you so so so much for the quick reply. We are really torn between taking up this opportunity or staying put. Hubby and I were going to go the residence route as we are both lecturers with Master's degrees. I am almost finished my PhD from an RSA University but hubby has a 3 year full-time scholarship for his PhD at Otago Uni. So I am almost sure he will get a 3 year visa as he also has sufficient proof funds for the 3 years tuition plus living costs and we also has sufficient private funds to cover extra costs. The reason we can't go residency straight away (although we qualify on the points system) is because my hubby is going to study for 3 years before looking for work. We have decided to go the NZ PhD route as it is less complicated when trying to get work and prove that his PhD is equivalent to a NZ one if that makes sense. JandM pointed out (thankfully as we did not know this) that because hubby is going to study we will not be able to prove sufficiently to a CO that hubby is employable as no job search history or job offers. Because sole intention is to study first, we see no reason to lie and start applying for jobs. We do however have every intention of settling as hubby will most likely be teaching undergrad courses in his Department and we have been strategic with that too as it may make entry into a full-time lecturing post easier if they know what he is capable of. So..... only other option for now is he gets a student visa which means I get an open work visa. Given that we are not in our 20's we were just worried about medical coverage and if I am able to access state health whilst on an open visa (which will, fingers crossed, be for 3 years) we will seriously be over the moon. I intend looking for work as soon as I complete my PhD (mid 2015) and then I will apply for residency and hubby will move onto my residency - fingers crossed......shew. Sounds like an elaborate plan but at the moment, that is all it is.... a plan. Does it sound remotely possible? Hubby has already been told by the University about the travel insurance which they apply for him. But given that we do want to start a family in the next 3- 5 years (eeeek) if I can get state health then we will most certainly take the student visa/ open visa route.

We came on a (one year) student visa when we first arrived and had to get medical insurance- and although we're way past our 20s ;-) it was extremely cheap,there are special rates through the university. So I wouldn't worry about the fees, to be honest (and we were a family of six....)

Thanks Renate. Appreciate your input Otago Uni has a good travel insurance and have just e-mailed southern cross and they do cover day to day medical expenses which is good I only have a year left of my studies so can change status once we in NZ.

Hi Karen and JandM, with the open work visa, by virtue of hubby being on a student visa, will I need to put in a separate application or do I get it by being on his student visa application? We are busy with the paper work for the student visa which gets sent to VFS in Cape Town and we are really hoping for a 3 year student visa as hubby as a full scholarship (25000 ND per year) and we have significant savings to add to the application

You need to apply for a Partnership-based work visa using forms INZ1198 and also INZ1146. I would submit them all in the same envelope.