Thread: Question about EOI process with an NZ Citizen partner

Default Question about EOI process with an NZ Citizen partner

Hi, I'm wondering if someone has been through this process or can give some advice on the following:

I am a NZ citizen living in NZ and my boyfriend lives in the UK. He is planning to submit an expression of interest shortly under the SMC as he is an electrical engineer on the long-term skills shortage list. However, he doesn't have a job offer and his points come out around 125. I've seen that he is unlikely to be selected from the pool with this level of points, and I'm wondering if I should support his application as I see there is a section for that and that this could give him extra points. The problem is we haven't yet lived together (we have only been in a relationship for 8 months) so I may not qualify as a 'partner' in the eyes of INZ and the EOI form is not set up for someone who is already a NZ citizen supporting their partner.

Can anyone give me any advice on whether I should be submitting my support for his EOI anyway, or whether there is any chance that we could apply for a Partner Visa even though we haven't lived together?

I'm struggling to find any options that will work for us to bring him here. Neither of us qualify for work visas in each other's countries so I'm not sure how we can fulfil the criteria of living together at the moment, apart from visiting each other on visiting visas and not working.

Appreciate any advice anyone can give, thanks.

Sorry, this is going to say what you don't want to hear.

Can anyone give me any advice on whether I should be submitting my support for his EOI anyway, or whether there is any chance that we could apply for a Partner Visa even though we haven't lived together?
    No, there's nothing you can do to help his EOI, and no, you can't be a partner in INZ terms without having lived together.

The mention of 'partner' on the EOI, giving extra points for the partner's qualification, is for when a couple are both applying to immigrate, one as the main applicant and one as the secondary applicant.

For the purposes of sponsoring someone in, a partner is ONLY a partner when they can prove the relationship in the terms laid down by INZ. There are old threads here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:+en...tnership+proof discussing what is required. You need 2 -3 months' evidence of living together for the application to be taken seriously. Yes, you may well have to arrange to be together with one of you on a visit visa, or go travelling in places where you can both legally be (since you don't have to have a fixed base to prove partnership - if you can show that you were both together as a couple using shared accommodation, that will work, too).