Thread: Shoulder Injury Post Visa Approval - Will This Affect My Visa?

Default Shoulder Injury Post Visa Approval - Will This Affect My Visa?

Hi all,

Sorry to trouble you but I had my status changed to Approved last month and am now waiting for the passports to come back to me with the blue stickers but unfortunately I've badly injured my shoulder since my status has been changed to Approved.

I've been to see a doctor and he's advised me that I need an MRI and probably surgery on my shoulder - will this affect my visa? Should I inform my case officer?

Thank you for you help on this one - it's given me a lot of sleepless nights with worry since I found out.

Kind regards,

Rhys

I guess it boils down to the job you will be doing in NZ i.e. are you still going to be able to do the job, whether or not you will have the surgery in the UK and the likelihood of it completely solving the problems. I am not sure what wording there is around the need to inform the Case Officer of an injury at this stage in the process. I will try to find out and re-post if I can.

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply - sorry I should have said. I'm an accountant and my visa was approved without a job offer.

And at the time of my visa being approved I was completely healthy.

I'd like to get it sorted before I leave but if it's going to cause me problems with the visa then I can cope with the pain until I get to nz and get it treated out there.

I forgot to say thank you for your help in my previous comment Karen. Thank you again for your help

Seriously, I would get it sorted in the UK. A bit expensive, but if you are worried about your visa you could fly to nz, activate your visa and fly back again. Orthopaedic surgery is one area where many DHB's here are struggling with demand. There are new wait targets, of four months, but if the DHB doesn't think you will get treated in four months you don't go on the list to begin with.

Having said that, surgery is usually a last resort. I broke my shoulder in Dec, tore two tendons, had bursitis and impingement syndrome. Whilst my recovery is frustrating sometimes (lack of internal rotation mostly), I am progressing in line with expectations and should get back to normal in 12 more months without surgery. I do a similar job to you and went back full time pretty quickly.

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. I'd rather get it sorted before I leave as well. The recovery so far is extremely frustrating so I share your pain!

The reason I asked is that my medical said I was fine and I was in good health when I was approved for the visa. Obviously now I've damaged my shoulder post approval, what I'm concerned about is if I go get it treated on the NHS here, when I get to NZ and give them my treatment history and I haven't told my case officer that I've damaged the shoulder before I got to NZ, would I then risk getting deported? Or doesn't it matter?

We've put so much into this that I'd rather not take any risks!

Thanks for your advice.

Hi. Life has been hectic for me today, but I will try to get an answer for you tomorrow if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. Life has been hectic for me today, but I will try to get an answer for you tomorrow if I can.
    No problem Karen. No need to apologise, I'm grateful for your help!

Thank you!