Thread: Can I change jobs?

Cool Can I change jobs?

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum. (Wish I found it when we did our visas), very helpful)
    I moved to Christchurch last October with my wife and 2 children. We came over here on permanent residency visas. We had conditions just stating that I must start work and provide evidence of remaining in my role for 3 months. I provided all the proofs and we had the conditions removed in march.
    My question is am I able to switch my job now? I am really struggling at the place I'm working at and not enjoying my job at all. I have been offered a job for another firm. It is still in the same industry just a different role which may not be seen to be as "skilled"
    I have had a quick look online but can't seem to see anything. I know I should call inz and ask but am slightly scared too. We've moved our whole life over plus our dogs so don't want to do anything to mess up our visas but the thought of staying at my current job for the next 2 years is just horrible.

I appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer me.

Many thanks.

So you have Residence visas under the Skilled Migrant Scheme, now with no conditions, is that right?

If that is so, you're a Resident, and you have the right to do ANY JOB AT ALL, skilled or not, in line with your qualifications or not. Or you could start a business, or be a student (though you couldn't get a student loan till after three years), or drop out (if you could afford it).

Thank you for your reply.

Yes we came over on the skilled migrant scheme. The visa just says resident visa and under conditions just now says "visa is invalid if holder is outside NZ with expired travel conditions".

Sorry to sound daft, find It all very confusing.

We have no plans to leave nz or anything like that. Just would like to change my job if possible.

Many thanks.

Yes, there's a lot to take in. Don't ever mind asking if things aren't clear. Lots of people here have been through the same fog!

But you're fine to do what you want about changing your job, I'm pleased to say.

That wording on your visa isn't as menacing as it might sound. I expect you know that, when you were granted Residence, it came with two years' travel conditions. Travel conditions is the term for permission to come and go from NZ at will, so, if you leave the country, you have the right to come back in as often as you like - for two years. (Don't worry about after two years - further explanation follows.)

Your Residence visas give you permission to live and work in NZ forever, and can't expire WHILE YOU'RE IN NZ. But if you went on a trip out of the country, and tried to come back two years and even one day after your visa was activated (so your two years' travel conditions had expired), that's when you'd find your Residence was invalid.

The answer to all this not being a problem is that you all get Permanent Residence visas when you've had your Residence visas for two years. It's a very straightforward process - you have to meet all the points in the first paragraph on this page, then just ONE of the following sets of criteria (and most people do the first). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm If you, the main applicant, fulfil the conditions, then all your family who were on the same ITA get PR along with you.

Thank you so much JandM for your last post. Makes it much clearer and now I understand it much better. Very relieved too that I can now accept the other job offer. Hopefully I will feel more secure in my new role and happier.

Thanks again.

All the best.