Thread: Questions for claiming points for EOI

Default Questions for claiming points for EOI

Dear all,
    How are you? Hope you are all fine I am planning to apply for NZ EOI and I hope I can get help for my questions.

Based on my condition and points table, below are points which I hope I can get:
    - Work in skilled employment: 30 points
    - Qualifications:50 points

My conditions:
    - Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering - the awarding institution in Indonesia is in exemption list and I can get level 7 (50 points).
    - Master of Science in Information System - the awarding institution in Singapore is in exemption list, level 8 (50 points).
    - My work experience is IT line. Nature of the job is like ERP System Analyst.
    - From 11 years of System Analyst work experience, only 6-7 years was in comparable labour market.
    - My wife has Diploma in Human Resource from Singapore, however the certificate needs assessment from NZQA.
    - My wife works in Human Resources as HR Executive.

Questions:
    1. Can I claim bonus points from both 'Work Experience in a Future Growth Area' and 'Work Experience in an area of absolute skills shortage'?
    2. Can I claim bonus points from both 'Qualification in an identified future growth area' and 'Qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage'? My Bachelor degree doesn't match my work experience and the Master's degree is not in LTSSL (INZ1093): Long Term Skill Shortage List Requirements column.
    3. In LTSSL, the occupation wording is 'System Analyst', but my job titles don't always use the same wording. Will this be a disadvantage?

If I can claim all the bonus points and my wife's Diploma recognised, I can get more than the magic number of 140.

Thank you for your kind attention and time looking into my condition.

Cheers,
    Chan

Hi. Some good news and not so good news. Firstly, you might be able to meet the requirements of the LTSSL then your work experience will all count see - SM10.11 (b), but you need to make sure you match - or have a job offer. . Secondly, it is very likely that taken in combination your Bachelor and Masters Degrees may well be deemed comparable to one of the Bachelor Degrees on the LTSSL for your occupation if you apply for an IQA and ask for them to be assessed together for this purpose. Having a Masters degree in something where the requirement is a Bachelor degree doesn't help you. It is very unlikely you would get both LTSSL and IFGA points. However, if your degree combination is deemed comparable to the LTSSL list and you get your wife's qualification assessed and it is ok, you may well reach that magic 140 - or 135 with the LTSSL points could be enough.

Hi Karen,
    thanks for your time and reply

I could not find SM10.11 (b), perhaps what you mean is 11.10 (b)?

Based on 11.10(b) and 13.20, then I can only get 20 points for work experience.

And for bonus points:
    - based on 13.10 maybe I can get 15 points? IFGA does't say relationship between work experience and qualification.
    - based on 16.10 maybe I can get 10 points? it only say the relevance of recognized qualification (in case I will use ICT Master degree) and work experience.

Plus age, recognize qualification and my wife points, the total points I maybe can get is:
    qualification: 50
    work experience : 20
    bonus points 13.10 : 15
    bonus points 16.10 : 10
    wife qualification : 10

TOTAL : 130

The other additional now is at IQA. By having my ICT Master Degree treated comparable as ICT Bachelor degree, I meet LTSSL requirement.

Is above analysis correct and not too optimistic?

Chan

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. Some good news and not so good news. Firstly, you might be able to meet the requirements of the LTSSL then your work experience will all count see - SM10.11 (b), but you need to make sure you match - or have a job offer. . Secondly, it is very likely that taken in combination your Bachelor and Masters Degrees may well be deemed comparable to one of the Bachelor Degrees on the LTSSL for your occupation if you apply for an IQA and ask for them to be assessed together for this purpose. Having a Masters degree in something where the requirement is a Bachelor degree doesn't help you. It is very unlikely you would get both LTSSL and IFGA points. However, if your degree combination is deemed comparable to the LTSSL list and you get your wife's qualification assessed and it is ok, you may well reach that magic 140 - or 135 with the LTSSL points could be enough.

Chan, if I'm not mistaken we cannot claim IFGA points if we do not have job offer / employment in NZ.

Hi Jagra,

From 13.10 the wording is as follows:
    Recognised work experience in an identified future growth area qualifies for points if:

the principal applicant has points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in an identified future growth area (see SM8.10); and
    the experience is relevant to that employment (see SM7.10.10).

And from 16.10 the sentence is:
    A recognised qualification(s) in an identified future growth area will only qualify for points if:

the principal applicant has points for current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment in an identified future growth area (see SM8.10); and
    the qualification is relevant to that employment (see SM16.10.1).

So the "current skilled employment" means employment in New Zealand then? In this case, I am way way below the magic number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagraphob View Post
    Chan, if I'm not mistaken we cannot claim IFGA points if we do not have job offer / employment in NZ.

Here is what mention about IFGA http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38691
    2nd comment has this mentioned

I did try to fill EOI (but not submit yet) I couldn't claim IFGA either although I have a recognized qualification and work experience (ICT).

Sorry about my typo yesterday - you're right - I did mean 11.10 etc. However, I am afraid that "current skilled employment" does mean in New Zealand - sorry!

Thanks all for all the input and information
    I saw quite a lot of IT people face the same condition of having different Bachelor degree and work experience.
    I guess IT is not a mature domain like architecture or medical domain, only these past 5-10 years people start to treat IT as partner in their business, see IT as a enabler to do thing more efficient and productive.
    Before that, IT people is seen as purely support function e.g: monitor/mouse not working, network has issue, computer cannot start... call IT people.

So perhaps this is why many people from different domain cross into the IT domain, not because they want to 'seize' jobs from IT people, it is simply IT has evolved to cater business needs. I remember in previous company, the global IT has around 10 people, only 1 of them is IT graduate, the director himself is a Mechanical engineer

Thanks again all for the input and guidance, getting a job offer is the best option for me now.

Just a thought... if you were to ask NZQA to assess your Bachelor and Masters degrees in combination and ask specifically whether they would together be considered comparable to one of the LTSSL degrees for your occupation, they might just do so - and then you could come under LTSSL and be able to claim the bonus points. It all depends on the exact papers you took as part of each degree. it is a gamble and a potentially expensive one at $746 - but it might be worth a try.